Stephen Roche

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Omerta seems to stretch beyond the peloton to cycling forums

Get protesting then fella, if you feel that strongly, while I continue to show a relative lack of interest in stuff I can't do anything about. As a start, may I suggest marching on the national velodrome with a banner..?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Get protesting then fella, if you feel that strongly, while I continue to show a relative lack of interest in stuff I can't do anything about. As a start, may I suggest marching on the national velodrome with a banner..?
Eh? I can't do much about many world events but I still take an interest. Doping in cycling doesn't come close to a tsunami or a terrorist bomb but it still registers as a blight on the sport we love to watch. By all means remain as blinkered as you want, but don't tell us who care about the integrity of the sport to forget about it.

that's my point - if you care that much - what are you doing about it? Apart from posting on the internet. All of this just strikes me as a bit 'Daily Mail', that's all....

stupid comments have no bounds

Absolutely but do you really think what you and BnY have written below, doesn't, in part, fall into this category

I don't understand this obsession with what they did or didn't do, we all know drugs are part of cycling always was and always will be, more so in the past,

I'll miss out the Roche for thhe moment and yes, drugs have always been a part but do really think they should be? If the answer is yes it requires a different discussion but if the answer is no, how should we tackle it and more pertinent to this thread, should we care.

Personally I think we should, particularly the way drugs like EPO have changed the face of the sport completely, turning carthorses to race winners. How many good but clean riders and they exist, have been robbed of rightful wins, how many young riders have been drawn into it because they thought there was no choice. Would you be happy if it was your son was risking his health on drugs or even slogging his guts out clean with no chance of ever winning?

Why can't you do something about it? Your opinion counts, if you express it, it goes into a groundswell of opinions which influence others and so on, it's what's happening now. It may or may not make a difference but if you don't express it, it never will.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
that's my point - if you care that much - what are you doing about it? Apart from posting on the internet. All of this just strikes me as a bit 'Daily Mail', that's all....
I have no idea what you're talking about re the Daily Mail but hey ho.
I'm not sure what an old bloke in Brighton could do about 'it'. I suspect writing to my MP or marching to Laussanne would have less effect than raising the issue among the good souls of CycleChat. Us talking about it has certainly persuaded more than a few on here that the problem exists and as such we raise awareness and interest. Vilification of those caught cheating is a good start and something we can all do. Dwain Chambers, Ben Johnson, Ricardo Ricco, Floyd Landis ....

...none of them Irish either.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'll be honest lads, getting a little bored, we seem to be going around in circles...
but let me clear a few points up..
I think drugs in all sports are wrong and clean sports would be good, but as I don't live in utopia and I'm not important enough to make a difference and won't let drugs ruin a sport for me, then my only option is too enjoy the sport and hope it's as clean as can be.....
crackle, trust me I'm under no illusion that my questions and answers are full of stupid opinions, but hey thats me...:smile:
Flying Monkey, you don't need me to point out your agenda, your smart enough to figure it out for yourself...
on a final note about protesting about drugs in cycling, I'm sorry but if I could be bothered to protest about anything, drugs in sport would be way down on on my list of things to complain about...
above or below protesting about Roche threads?

I know, I know, I couldn't resist.

Interview with SR.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/04/tour-de-france-stephen-roche
He has a go at Brad in this one. Not sure why he has to do this really.

Brad has got better at interviews but he was seriously weird at first, nevertheless, why Roche sees fit to criticise him, I dunno.

I remember the year he won the Giro and Tour, I remember him collapsing and Ligett going wild as he appeared out the mist. Same tour I also remember him descending so fast, he got ahead of the camera bike and official cars. I've even got a picture of him somewhere on slide, in Liverpool, in the Tour of Britain.

Noodley might be right but I'm not sure.

raindog

er.....
I can't find anything either, but I've been checking that day's racing out on various sites, and I think it was the same stage. He was out on his own when he climbed the Madeleine that day so I think it was descending the Madeleine where he went really fast before the climb of La Plagne when Delgado and his team mates caught and passed him.

Top Bottom