Stephen Roche

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

well, er, pro cycling presumably..?

Sorry, I must have missed something...explain?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
it just doesn't sound like you're cut out to be a fan of procycling, if it gets you this upset.....
I have to agree. Fancy a cycling fan getting irritated by drug cheats who pontificate about radios, zippers on jerseys and hate Cav because he praises his team. Noodley should be applauding Roche all the way to the top job while fights the issue of drafting after puncturing. Get your priorities sorted out Noodley before you come on here shouting about non-issues like doping and hypocrisy.

Paul_L

Über Member
I'd hate to read the comments if people disliked Roche....
Noodley from your comments I gather I should refrain from enjoying old school cycling, Eddy Merckx, laurent Fignon etc and my all time favourite Sean Kelly..drug cheats (allegedly) but I don't or won't allow drugs to take away the enjoyment I get from watching the old masters or infact any sport were drugs are presumed to be used...to be fair I don't really care, I'm a self confessed sports nut, for me it's all about the game, the politics are a side issue for me.

We all know use of PEDs was endemic in the past, and for me at least that doesn't take away my enjoyment of say Roche at La Plagne in 87, or Fignon's 8second tour.

But the difference with people like Fignon (RIP) is he admitted use of amphets, and as Noodley has repeatedly tried to say, Roche has always followed the omerta AND is climbing the UCIs gravy train. I'd have no problem with Roche taking a senior position in cycling on the basis that he admitted what went on, admitted he was involved and used his influence to make sure it doesn't ever happen again.

The finish of yesterday's Giro (where everyone looked absolutely farked at the finish) does give some confidence that cycling is as clean now as it's ever been.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
...to be fair I don't really care, I'm a self confessed sports nut, for me it's all about the game, the politics are a side issue for me.
:rolleyes: Drugs aren't politics. Politicking is what Roche is doing to get on the gravy train. Arguing about non-issues a la Pat McQuaid.
I enjoyed all those feats of endurance by the old masters too and can forgive some for taking a few amphetamines. Watching Pantani chock full of EPO and admiring Armstrong bully his way past Fat Jan leaves a bitter taste now though.

I'd hate to read the comments if people disliked Roche....
Noodley from your comments I gather I should refrain from enjoying old school cycling, Eddy Merckx, laurent Fignon etc and my all time favourite Sean Kelly..drug cheats (allegedly) but I don't or won't allow drugs to take away the enjoyment I get from watching the old masters or infact any sport were drugs are presumed to be used...to be fair I don't really care, I'm a self confessed sports nut, for me it's all about the game, the politics are a side issue for me.

spot on. I rarely follow the pro side of the sport, as I don't have much interest in it, but there seems to be an awful lot of armchair whinging going on here, which is why I suggested football as an alternative pursuit...

Paul_L

Über Member
hold on, Roche is a drug fiend but Fignon only took amphetamines ? but "if" Armstrong took drugs then passing Jan, surly it was a level playing field...
Roche 87 collapses, next day rides like nothing happened, yet todays riders do the same and they are giants of cycling, (for the moment)...

La Plagne was different. Roche rode a "superhuman" solo effort to pull nearly a minute and a half back on Delgado. The Giro yesterday, was the whole of the leading contenders slogging it out km after km in a real attritional battle. It's also pretty clear to me, that the "recovery" from day to day is not what it once was and i contest the comment that they ride the day after like nothing happened.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I rarely follow the pro side of the sport, as I don't have much interest in it

But enough interest, apparently, to argue about something you aren't interested in. :laugh:

Look, it's very simple: Roche was a great rider. He also took drugs. He refuses to talk about it. He's now a pro-cycling politician. He is in a position where he lectures contemporary cyclists about cheating and proper behaviour. But neither you nor i.o.t.c.b seem to think this is a problem, and you also can't apparently think of any motivation for our criticism than the idea that we must not like Roche personally.

Given that you don't have much interest in the pro sport, have you actually read the kind of stuff that Roche has been coming out with recently? I really advise you to take a look at the thread I started a few weeks back. It might be an eye-opener.

But enough interest, apparently, to argue about something you aren't interested in. :laugh:

'Enough' being the operative word, yes. Either you like watching people racing each other on bicycles - or you don't. If you do, then just enjoy it for what it is.

Look, it's very simple: Roche was a great rider. He also took drugs. He refuses to talk about it. He's now a pro-cycling politician. He is in a position where he lectures contemporary cyclists about cheating and proper behaviour. But neither you nor i.o.t.c.b seem to think this is a problem, and you also can't apparently think of any motivation for our criticism than the idea that we must not like Roche personally.

It's not a problem. Most sports usually get the politicians they deserve. I'm sure if the teams were that upset they would do something about it.

Given that you don't have much interest in the pro sport, have you actually read the kind of stuff that Roche has been coming out with recently? I really advise you to take a look at the thread I started a few weeks back. It might be an eye-opener.

I've just read the stuff. Roche says one thing - Vaughters says something different. Disagreement between two different sets of vested interests is hardly anything new...

Top Bottom