Steve Coogan to play Jimmy Savile in BBC drama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
How's about that then.

As far as I am aware, other people may know better, but Jimmy Saville was never actually prosecuted for anything.

Do all the people who are condemning him know for certain that he has committed these crimes?

I am not taking sides with J. Saville one way or the other but I do find it strange how everybody is influenced by what they read nowadays and never question anything.

It's all very well going wow cookie, I am just asking questions.

As I pointed out in my first post I am not defending or convicting the bloke.

Is it wrong for me, or anyone else to ask questions, or should we blindly believe everything we are told by the media?

I will reiterate my statement from my first post "I am not taking sides with J. Saville"

Hopefully the message will have got through now that I am not defending the person in question before other people show righteous indignation.

Please read the whole post not just the part you want to get offended by.

I find your questioning strange. I thought it was generally accepted by pretty much everyone that Saville was one of the countries most prolific sexual predators over the last few decades. I have never heard any doubt from any source to about the evidence. There has been 450 allegations.

Saville abused hundreds. It's not in doubt. I think your questioning is misplaced and makes you look like a bit of an apologist despite claiming otherwise.

To be honest I thought your use of one of his quotes was in poor taste anyway.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Do all the people who are condemning him know for certain that he has committed these crimes?
Give over.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My fam are from Manchester where Saville was a well known face around the club scene in the early '60s when my parents were courting. There were rumours swirling around him even back then. My grandad was a pest controller (aka rat catcher) and did a few jobs at his club around that time and met him. He took an instant dislike.

I think the story is worth the telling as long as it respects his victims. I'm reasonably sure Coogan will do a good job.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'm reasonably sure Coogan will do a good job.
He has a fairly sordid episode of sex and drugs when fame caught up with him, but has come through unscathed, so can probably have some professional empathy with Savile and the darker side of fame.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
He has a fairly sordid episode of sex and drugs when fame caught up with him, but has come through unscathed, so can probably have some professional empathy with Savile and the darker side of fame.
I'm not sure doing too much coke at the Fringe gives you an insight into being a lifelong child abuser. More interesting for the general purposes of this forum is that IIRC he dodged a driving ban by pleading he needed to drive for a TV show.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How's about that then.

As far as I am aware, other people may know better, but Jimmy Saville was never actually prosecuted for anything.

I am not taking sides with J. Saville one way or the other but I do find it strange how everybody is influenced by what they read nowadays and never question anything.
I'm not sure doing too much coke at the Fringe gives you an insight into being a lifelong child abuser. More interesting for the general purposes of this forum is that IIRC he dodged a driving ban by pleading he needed to drive for a TV show.
Coogan is not supposed to be very nice himself, I know of someone who used crack and cocaine with him.
I think he's on the horrible side but I've heard nothing about him being involved in any abuse.
People were very well aware about Savile. His tight knit friends knew about him as well as they were all at it.

Allegations is the key word there. Is there any physical evidence.

Obviously because of your job you will know more than me would allegations bring about a prosecution?
There are 2 parts to this story.
Part 1 - hundreds of allegations against him and pretty much it was similar and people came forward.
Parts - allegations made against companies and organisations such as the BBC and Children's Care facilities for knowing for what he was doing but kept quiet. These companies unlike Saville are still alive and can challenge these allegations but have not done so.

If I made a false allegation against a company, believe me there will a denial followed by a lawyers letter.

Credit to his family though,

"His family said they requested the removal of the headstone "out of respect to public opinion" following allegations he sexually abused girls."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-19893373

Drago

Legendary Member
Remember that woman who was convinved she was Savile's daughter after the pilthy fervert had a fling with her Mum?

Funnily enough she has now accepted the DNA evidence and decided that she does not want to be his daughter after all.

DRM

Guru
How's about that then.

Both my mum, and mum in law said independently of each other that when he was running the Mecca dance hall in Leeds, the general advice was to stay away from Saville as he likes them young, this would have been in the late fifties early sixties, it was well known he had a bed in his office, I also recall seeing a programme about him years ago with a clip of him on top of the pops, it must have been when the Nolan’s were on doing I’m in the mood for dancing, and he was surrounded by young girls whilst introducing another act, among them a 15 year old Colleen Nolan, the older sisters said on screen that they wouldn’t have been responsible for their actions if he’d tried it on with her, so yes he is as guilty as sin and should be forgotten about, his family changed the name of their garden centre in Garforth because of the toxic link, as did the Royal Armouries , changing the name of their banqueting suite.

Last edited:
When he died and it all came out

all the accusations

all the evidence

OK - this has happened before - someone in the public eye dies and people just get all brave and come out of the woodwork

But I have always looked at it and looked at the people saying he was innocent
and, at the end of the day, he is dead so cannot defend himself
so there is doubt - could he defned himself and prove his innocence if he was still alive

In Saville's case
NOT ONE PERSON DEFENDED HIM!!!
in all other cases SOMEONE - even if deluded or naive - would say 'surely not' or ' couldn;t be him;

in his case

NO-ONE

his family just walked away
and dragged his headstone/tombstone/monument away so fast it must have nearly burnt up

I know of not one person that seems to think ti is all a big mistake

OK - the weight of opinion is SOOO greta that no-one would no
but even at the beginning I remember there being NOTHING

and the evidence is overwelming

so

he was a wrong'un
from the start
and a bad one at that
used his position to get access to the MOST vulnerable

any comments syaing he might have been OK really

just NO

Top Bottom