Steve Coogan to play Jimmy Savile in BBC drama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oooh - hadn't seen that

Thanks for the info - I shall look - more info is always good

It was interesting. Theroux clearly felt like he'd allowed himself to develop a friendship of sorts with Savile during the first doco, and despite exposing his general dodginess had missed the wood for the trees. By the time of the second doco there was no one except a small coterie of ex-beneficiaries in denial, but it's interesting how tenaciously ordinary people can support an abuser's narrative.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I probably helped the old perv earn a few bob. During the days of the long defunct Cycling Weekly forum the magazine used to interview people with links to cycling during the winter months. They asked for suggestions of people we thought would make a good interview subject and I suggested Savile, knowing he had been a decent quality amateur rider in his younger days and had competed in the Tour of Britain.

To be fair, it was quite a good interview he gave.

Going back to his offending, EVERYONE at the BBC had known what he was like for years, when Children in Need was launched they refused to have Savile on board because of his reputation. More than a few fellow stars made oblique references to it during programs and an interview with Johnny Rotten in 1978 the singer did just more than "Drop a hint" but the interview was canned.

View: https://youtu.be/v4OzI9GYag0

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but it's interesting how tenaciously ordinary people can support an abuser's narrative.

Watching in court tells me an abuser often carries one or two members of his family with him, while other family members are giving evidence against him.

Not a recipe for familial harmony, as you may imagine, so families being permanently ripped apart is often collateral damage in child abuse cases.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Watching in court tells me an abuser often carries one or two members of his family with him, while other family members are giving evidence against him.

Not a recipe for familial harmony, as you may imagine, so families being permanently ripped apart is often collateral damage in child abuse cases.

Yes, in my experience trials for historic sex crimes - whatever the final verdict - have a particularly polarising effect on the families involved.

I probably helped the old perv earn a few bob. During the days of the long defunct Cycling Weekly forum the magazine used to interview people with links to cycling during the winter months. They asked for suggestions of people we thought would make a good interview subject and I suggested Savile, knowing he had been a decent quality amateur rider in his younger days and had competed in the Tour of Britain.

To be fair, it was quite a good interview he gave.

Going back to his offending, EVERYONE at the BBC had known what he was like for years, when Children in Need was launched they refused to have Savile on board because of his reputation. More than a few fellow stars made oblique references to it during programs and an interview with Johnny Rotten in 1978 the singer did just more than "Drop a hint" but the interview was canned.

View: https://youtu.be/v4OzI9GYag0

He was in a film that had some cycling scenes in before he became famous. I forget the name but it was on a cable channel and you can recognise him. Apart from him it was a decent film.

And to think I used to have Jim'll Fix It as one of my favourite shows as a kid.
Yuk.

He was in a film that had some cycling scenes in before he became famous. I forget the name but it was on a cable channel and you can recognise him. Apart from him it was a decent film.

And to think I used to have Jim'll Fix It as one of my favourite shows as a kid.
Yuk.
with hindsight and what we know now it does make you shudder

PaulB

Legendary Member
As ever, Half Man Half Biscuit come to our aid. They recorded this in the 90s when no-one else would tackle the subject.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PtfDWyxpQ4

With these immortal lines - how come they're always ahead of everyone else?

“Down at Stoke Mandeville I bumped into Mr IQ
I said "Hey albino, this is not 1972
Stub out your King Edward and get that small boy off your knee
And melt down your rings and things and get yourself off my TV

"Jim could you fix it for me
To come down and suck out your kidneys?
I’ve got this young brother, you see
Who wants to stay alive to watch Bilko ”

A boy a girl and a bike.
Comes up now and again on here.
A very good film.
Saville's appearance is very fleeting and no words - wouldn't let it put anyone off it.

Drago

Legendary Member
As ever, Half Man Half Biscuit come to our aid. They recorded this in the 90s when no-one else would tackle the subject.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PtfDWyxpQ4

With these immortal lines - how come they're always ahead of everyone else?

“Down at Stoke Mandeville I bumped into Mr IQ
I said "Hey albino, this is not 1972
Stub out your King Edward and get that small boy off your knee
And melt down your rings and things and get yourself off my TV

"Jim could you fix it for me
To come down and suck out your kidneys?
I’ve got this young brother, you see
Who wants to stay alive to watch Bilko ”

That sounds like a car alarm going off, while someone shakes a bicuit tin full of broken crockery, and the 'singer' has just run over his toes with a lawnmower.

Top Bottom