STI shifter doing nothing

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

In an attempt to index my gears, it's gone horribly wrong. The chain is on the second smallest cog at the back and the smallest ring at the front but I can't shift. It won't let me shift up or down, it doesn't click, it's as if the gear cable isn't even connected.

I've changed everything back to the way it was but no luck, no change. Help me please! :sad:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Disconnect cable from rear mech (if we are talking about the right shifter).

Then try to go through the gears with the shifter - you may need to pull on the cable whilst shifting into a lower gear.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Disconnect cable from rear mech.

Then try to go through the gears with the shifter - you may need to pull on the cable whilst shifting into a lower gear.

The shifter doesn't do anything though.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Right - sounds like the shifter is either bust or the cable is jammed.

You need to extract the cable completely.

And then try clicking away.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Tight. I just disconnected the cable completely and it's now clicking when I shift, will re connect the cable and see what happens.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Tight. I just disconnected the cable completely and it's now clicking when I shift, will re connect the cable and see what happens.

Right - what had happened is that the nipple wasn't seated properly and had jammed the works.

Make sure you pull the cable through so that the nipple is as far in the mech as it will go.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Grr, can't get the cable in. The end has frayed and I don't have any cable cutters/good enough pliers to cut it with.

Top Bottom