Stick with cantis or go with discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
there was an article in the CTC magazine this week pointing out many of the disadvantages of disc brakes - need stronger fork (as you've realised), fiddly to adjust, heavier - by quite a lot it seems, poorer heat dissipation (not sure about that one) - and for road use the not-grinding-the-rims thing is not such an issue. Given good rim brakes can pitch uou over the bars, they are "good enough" anyway. I have no personal experience of discs - so just repeating an article. It was a measured article, not wholly anti. Good to see the ctc journal not pandering to latest and greatest though.

Anyhow I have Avid Shorty cantis on my Thorn and they work really reallly well. No idea how they compare with the others mentioned. Of course any brakes have to be set up "just right" in any case
For road use on dry, Sunday morning bimbles or club runs it might not be an issue, on all-year round commuters it is.

And I've had rim brakes blow a tube on a loaded tourer, and I'd rather risk a bit of heat fade than have that happen again...

...which is why my tourer, which also was used as my commuter when I was commuting in the UK, has discs.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
there was an article in the CTC magazine this week pointing out many of the disadvantages of disc brakes - need stronger fork (as you've realised), fiddly to adjust, heavier - by quite a lot it seems, poorer heat dissipation (not sure about that one) - and for road use the not-grinding-the-rims thing is not such an issue. Given good rim brakes can pitch uou over the bars, they are "good enough" anyway. I have no personal experience of discs - so just repeating an article. It was a measured article, not wholly anti. Good to see the ctc journal not pandering to latest and greatest though.

Anyhow I have Avid Shorty cantis on my Thorn and they work really reallly well. No idea how they compare with the others mentioned. Of course any brakes have to be set up "just right" in any case
I was interested to see them say rim wear isn't an issue for road riders. The rims on my ultra galaxy only lasted 3000 ish miles. I know I'm heavy on the brakes and was fully loaded but still... The guy who replaced the rims saw a lot of tourers with the same problem and was coming to the conclusion that discs were better for longer distance tourers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was interested to see them say rim wear isn't an issue for road riders. The rims on my ultra galaxy only lasted 3000 ish miles. I know I'm heavy on the brakes and was fully loaded but still... The guy who replaced the rims saw a lot of tourers with the same problem and was coming to the conclusion that discs were better for longer distance tourers.

I must have done 10 to 15 thousand commuting miles on original rims. Admittetedly not hilly touring, but start and stop in all weathers all the same. Presumably lighter wheels than typical galaxy too

EDIT - should add have never used disc brakes, and debating whether to have the spec'd on the fantasy bike. Currently tending against, but not saying I'm right

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
My brakes were dual pivot side pull caliper brakes rather than cantis. I may have raised your hopes falsely. I apologise.

Thanks, anyway. I suspected they were calipers so I didn't get my hopes up too much.

RMurphy195

I've just replaced my old Galaxy (STX canti's) with a disc-braked bike using the Spyre TRP cable discs.

I'm found that they, well, they just work, wet or dry. Lots of modulation with my STI brake levers (Shimano Claris)

If you go for these mike sure you watch the Spyre video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T2RLgQoyvs
. I had this problem, the bike shop swopped the pads from the original Organic pads to Sintered to fix it, however I improved matters further by following the video, though the alignment method I used was the one supplied with the brake fitting instructions.

The discs are Aztec ones that look like this http://www.aztecbrakes.co.uk/rotors

My gut feeling is that the shape of the holes might have been exacerbating the problem.

Last edited:
Can I ask which cantis they are Stumpy? I ask slightly concerned as I have the same bike, though have not yet used it with what I consider a full load on any great descent.in truth i have come to somewhat doubt the spec suggested for my bike in view of my prefernces. I think i should definitely have insisted on a square taper BB. And also possibly 8 speed. On the brakes i think i should maybe have gone for simple effeftive V brakes. Mine is flat bar - is yours drops?

Top Bottom