Sticking gears/hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yozza

Hi,

First off, sorry for using non-technical terms for things, I'm new to all of this.

Over the last couple of days, my rear gear cogs (hub?) have been sticking, so, if I try to pedel backwards (e.g. to get the pedals in the right position at traffic lights), the chain doesn't move, but simply goes slack as the rear cogs aren't moving.

There's a plastic guard between the cogs and the wheel, and this seems to be lightly touching both the cogs and the wheel spokes, so, if the cogs are moving, it gets caught on the wheel, therefore everything gets caught up when you're not cycling forwards.

I've tried cleaning between the plastic and the cogs, and oiling everything up, which helped a bit, but the problem just comes back.

Again, sorry if this makes no sense, I can elaborate if you need me to, but, if anyone has any ideas what to do (e.g. remove the plastic guard, dismantle the cogs an clean them up), then that would be great.

Cheers,

Yozza.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Remove the plastic (known as a dork disc).

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

Splendid, that was the reply I was looking for.

I'm assuming it's just a guard of some kind to stop mud getting into the gears?

Ta.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
The bit of plastic (dork disc, pie plate etc...) is there to protect your spokes should the chain shift over the top of the largest sprocket. This shouldn't be an issue if your gears are set up correctly and are shifting OK.

Your problem sounds to be a sticking freewheel or freehub. This article helps explain the difference between the two, and if you follow the links, provides guidance on oiling a freewheel.

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

Ah, OK, cheers for that.

I'll make sure to oil the freewheel as well as removing the dork disc.

I think it is the dork disc causing the problems (different positions of the dork disc make the problem better/worse), but it looks like oiling the freewheel is a good preventative measure as well.

Thanks again for all the help.

Top Bottom