Sticky rear Break any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
I've just replaced all of my my cables on my 105 set up but am now having problems with the rear break, (the rear cable was the most corroded) now after the new cables have been installed the rear break feels snatchy and the the movement of the lever isn't very smooth, I'm also getting a squeaking noise from the pads on the rim when breaking that I never had before? I had a lock up on the way in to work today as a result! :eek:
Any ideas would be appreciated

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thought this was something to do with sticky cakes and a coffee break.

If it's your rear BRAKE the problem may be that the pads are so worn that they are slipping down and actually dropping off the braking surface and jamming. The surfaces of the brakes that contact the rim should be perfectly flat and should hit the braking surface flat. If they have worn so much that there's a ridge (possible if your cables were so neglected that they had rusted!) take them off and trim them flat with a sharp knife. If this means there is so little material left that the muck-clearance slots are no longer there, it's time for new pads.

Keep your rims clean, your pads correctly adjusted and flat on the rims and pick out small stones before they gouge the braking surface and they will last a long time.

boydj

Legendary Member
Release the cable from the brake and move the brake lever while keeping some tension on the cable with your fingers. This will let you know if the cable is running smoothly or not. Before you re-attach the cable, tighten the brakes onto the wheel using your fingers to move the brake blocks, which should let you know if the brake mechs are moving smoothly.

If you only installed inner cables, then the outers may need to be changed. Or it could be that the brake units need to be cleaned and lubed to get them moving freely.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
3. Brake pivot sticking. Again, easy to see if this is happening while the cable is off the caliper. Squeeze it together manually and let go. If it stays closed or 'lingers' before opening, then it is either the pivot (strip, clean, reassemble)

My first port of call would be here.

uclown2002

Guru
Both the above posts are spot on.

3. Brake pivot sticking. Again, easy to see if this is happening while the cable is off the caliper. Squeeze it together manually and let go. If it stays closed or 'lingers' before opening, then it is either the pivot (strip, clean, reassemble)

Without wishing to hijack this thread is it easy to do with dual pivot brakes? This fits my problem.

In the meantime I'll try and find a suitable link but if someone knows of a good one then please post!

Top Bottom