sticky wheel hubs - quick fix ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Is the following 'short-term' fix advisable ? What are the pros and cons ?

The hubs in my daughters bike are a bit sluggish. The bearing are not too loose or tight. I think the reason is probably because the bike has not been used much and that the grease has solidified a little.

The long term fix would simply be to clean out/degrease the hubs and pack new bearing and grease in there but in the short term is the following viable ?

I was thinking of squirting a small amount of GT85 into the hubs to loosen them up a bit. Is this a good idea ?

Opinions please.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
GT85 is PTFE, or T-Fal, or Teflon, in the polymerized state. Unlike WD-40(originally used as a water dispersant on Atlas series missiles)it does not necessarily act as a solvent,polytetraflourethylene may be a better choice, as it is a lubricant. Still, doing the job right, with a bearing repack(if indeed the bike does have bearings, and not plastic bushings) wouldn't take that much longer.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is the following 'short-term' fix advisable ? What are the pros and cons ?

The hubs in my daughters bike are a bit sluggish. The bearing are not too loose or tight. I think the reason is probably because the bike has not been used much and that the grease has solidified a little.

The long term fix would simply be to clean out/degrease the hubs and pack new bearing and grease in there but in the short term is the following viable ?

I was thinking of squirting a small amount of GT85 into the hubs to loosen them up a bit. Is this a good idea ?

Opinions please.
3 in 1 is far better, just dribble a bit in then 'back-pedal' for a while to slosh it around the rear and then ride the bike for a bit to free off the front.

Top Bottom