Stiff crank arm bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How stiff should a crank arm bolt be (ISIS crank). I'm asking, because I can't get mine to budge! I've got a clanking noise, possibly coming from my BB, and I want to have a look at it, hopefully it just needs tightened/greased or similar. However, I just can't get the crank bolt loosened (8mm hex key).

I'll be getting a hold of some WD40 to see if that will help. If not, any suggestions?

How stiff should a crank arm bolt be (ISIS crank).
Not tight enough that you shouldn't be able to undo it using something with reasonable leverage - presumably it wasn't installed with anti-seize.

What are you actually using to undo it? Can you extend the lever length with something to give a bit more umph?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Not tight enough that you shouldn't be able to undo it using something with reasonable leverage - presumably it wasn't installed with anti-seize.

What are you actually using to undo it? Can you extend the lever length with something to give a bit more umph?

Its a smallish 8mm hex key. Probably about 3 or 4 inches long. My only concern about doing that is that I might damage something, so I'm keen to try WD40 first, and then leverage later!

No idea about anti-seize as I didn't install it.

Top Bottom