Stiff shifting 105 front mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When shifting from big to small ring its seems that I really need to push the inner lever much harder than when going from small to large. Also, when the change is made, it clunks into position.

I do not think it is the mech itself at it moves freely across its travel when I pull on the gear cable under the down tube with my fingers. It seems to move ok with no resistance of note.

Therefore I think it must be the STI lever itself. Ive given it a good lube but its still "clunky" from big to small.

Any suggestions?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
a thorough clean to start and while doing it check the cables are in the guides under the bottom of the frame

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Rule number 1 - never try to force the lever across. Shimano use cheap monkey metal inside and that tends to break very easily especially in left hand shifters.

Check the freeflow of the cable and also that the nipple head is securely bedded - the cable can stretch, nipple becomes loose in its bed and then interferes with the mechanism.

mr_s81

Über Member
Sounds more like the cable to me. I had e opposite issue on my 105 front mech in changing from small to big ring and replacing the cable sorted it completely.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Rule number 1 - never try to force the lever across. Shimano use cheap monkey metal inside and that tends to break very easily especially in left hand shifters.

Check the freeflow of the cable and also that the nipple head is securely bedded - the cable can stretch, nipple becomes loose in its bed and then interferes with the mechanism.

Amen to that.

Top Bottom