Still looking for a cycling club in Leicester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

I never actually met anyone with the CTC, all I ever got was a magazine every quarter. Which isn't bad in it's self, but I never heard about anything going on in my area. Perhaps I should have put more effort into finding out. I'll have a look at the Loughborough to London ride. See what I can find out. Thanks.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
marinyork said:
What was wrong with the CTC anyway? I know they can be a bit patronising and humorous to anybody under 50 as being young and go on about mudguards a lot but they aren't that bad. One always gets things out of riding with other people even if it it isn't exactly what one wants.
My local CTC wanted me to pay for their mag and only offered long sunday rides which with a 3 year old i do not get chance to do, never heard from them after that :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well they definitely have rides in leicestershire, whether any are particularly near you is another matter http://www.lrctc.bravehost.com/

There's a loughborough section that meet there or Barrow upon soar. The Charnwood section could be more organised and just seems to be a list of people's first names and places I have no idea of in Leicestershire. The south section seemed somewhat empty.

There really were some cycle chat rides in Leicestershire in that section last year as I thought about going on one or two myself but as happens with these things you never get around to doing them. I did my first 100 mile ride with some cyclechatters. The sort of distance you're wanting to do right now I would think would be quite suited to them. It's much mentally easier doing group long group rides you talk around to a lot of people and you realise people that do big distances in groups don't always go round doing them on their own.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Rabbitthekitten said:
I didn't even know that site existed. I might rejoin now I've seen that. :smile:

Well you do have a point. My CTC changed it's name and it's website to something more, obvious, for exactly that reason. In general there is a coordination and meeting place problem a lot of clubs have with new cyclists, some don't even have websites! The problem is the people in charge of such things often say things like "well it's simple you just turn up at ... at ...".

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

marinyork said:
The problem is the people in charge of such things often say things like "well it's simple you just turn up at ... at ...".
Yeah, that only works if you're in the loop. If you don't know anyone like me, that's not particularly helpful. Cheers for finding that site for me though, it's brill. :-D

When my step-daughter lived in Leicester I joined Leicester Spokes.

http://www.leicesterspokes.org.uk/

I went out on a Sunday ride with them and really enjoyed it.The Sunday rides are more leisurely ones,no one got left behind,stopped for lunch and there were all manner of different bikes there.

There are faster rides on Saturdays and during the week.

Very friendly bunch of people.

Unfortunately just after I joined she moved back up North so that was that.

They certainly responded to e-mails.

Ian

noginn

Hi,

I recently joined Leicester Forest CC and they are definitely a friendly bunch, I suggest registering on the forum and saying hello. Then come and join us for one of the club runs on a Saturday.

http://www.leicesterforest.org.uk/forum/

There is no pressure to race, although the option is there with the evening 10 mile time trial on a Thursday night and other events throughout the year.

Tom

yellowmilk

I'd recommend Leicester Forest also. I've been going out with the group since mid-April. Two saturday rides, fast ride leaves at 8.30am and goes for 60+miles. The slower ride which I go on leaves at 9am from Desford crossroads, ave speed about 16-17mph and about 40 miles. We stop off at a cafe in Measham or Rosliston.

I'd recommend coming along. If you're on facebook send a message to the group or write on their wall so other riders can expect you.

What kind of distance are you riding at the moment? I would suggest you need a road bike, as you won't find the ride comfortable on anything other. (Think of driving down the motorway in a tractor compared to a sports car).

We're a friendly bunch, and as well as sharing cycling knowledge, we do talk about other things too on the rides!

Hopefully see you soon!

Top Bottom