Stop motion video of self-assembling bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Voice-over by Morph & the Minions?
Reminscent of the Honda 'Cogs' advert

I remember that. It has to be one of my favourite adverts of all time. I recall seeing something that apparently, when it was first shown to the heads of Honda, they said something along the lines of "isn't it wonderful what can be done with CGI". They were amazed when the producer told them that it was actually real.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Ah those bloody things ^_^. I borrowed a bike from the hotel to bike to work whilst I was working in Germany for a few weeks. It had one of these infernal contraptions on it. I had never seen one before so I didn't twig. I did wonder why it only had a front brake mind. I just thought that maybe the rear brake was missing for some reason as loaners are sometimes poorly maintained. Anyway off I went. I got up to speed and as I was coasting along down a incline, I started to back pedal quite quickly (a habit I have on my free wheel for some odd reason). This resulted in a rear wheel lockup, a slide, and almost being hit by the very surprised driver following me. WTF I thought. Took me a bit of time to realise what had occured and why. I soon got out of the habit of back pedaling whilst coasting.

mustang1

Guru
Must be something to do with attention span I managed 10 seconds then jumped forward 3 times, finished it in less than 20 seconds how anyone could watch 5:56 is beyond me
I like this post not because I agree with it but because you speak your mind. However, I did too fwd it a couple of times before I figured I should watch it for its artistic content. :thumbsup:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Didn't like that valve stem at 1:30 ...
Yeah, that made me wince.

I remember that. It has to be one of my favourite adverts of all time. I recall seeing something that apparently, when it was first shown to the heads of Honda, they said something along the lines of "isn't it wonderful what can be done with CGI". They were amazed when the producer told them that it was actually real.
It's two takes. Can you spot the join?

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Yeah, that made me wince.
It's two takes. Can you spot the join?
Yes. It is where the muffler is rolling across the floor. If you look carefully, you can see the direction of the floor baords change. It took just over 600 takes to get it right. There were days that send them crew almost made when "the parts were not behaving themselves". Worth all the effort though as it is just amazing.

Last edited:

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Woods valves? Cotter pins? Those take me back.

Agree about the valve stem. For years I had an annoying "bump, bump, bump" as I rolled along. It was only when I started doing my own maintenance (at the age of 11 or so) that I realised that the tyre wasn't fitting far enough into the rim because the valve had been tightened in before the tube was inflated.

Top Bottom