Stop signal at a roundabout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
Because that is the most effective way to do it on a conventional all lever operated two brake bike.. Right hand away from the brake lever/bars flapping like a loon means back brake only which means extended stopping distance and potential weight shift leading to loss of control.
I can't remember the last time I used the back brake. Pretty much front brake only. And really if someone cant brake and signal with another hand (I'm not saying he should of been in this case) they maybe should ride off the public road until they have worked on their balance, are more efficient and will not be a danger on the road.

martint235

Dog on a bike
:popcorn:

blazed

220lb+
I would disagree there. As we know, the front brake has the most stopping power, and when used to its utmost effect there is so little weight on the back wheel that the rear brake becomes useless, only causing the wheel to lock up and skid (and yes, it is possible to do this safely in a controlled manner). Admitedly you do need both hands on the bars, but not both for operating the brake levers.

Refer to Sheldon Brown on braking.
You are correct, but then this is the commuting section so I suppose shouldn't expect people to actually know how to ride properly, and just expect them to know their highway code.

400bhp

Guru
I can't remember the last time I used the back brake. Pretty much front brake only. And really if someone cant brake and signal with another hand (I'm not saying he should of HAVE been in this case) they maybe should ride off the public road until they have worked on their balance, are more efficient and will not be a danger on the road.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The guy is an idiot from following to closely &/or not reading the road.

With regard to braking, there's a reason my front brake is on my LEFT hand. I can brake & signal at the same time, not that the stopping signal is actually useful these days, people at best will think you're turning right.

Did you swap them over yourself or is your bike an immigrant? Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to change them over myself - what with being left-handed (and having filthy bar tape that needs changing anyway).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The guy is an idiot from following to closely &/or not reading the road.

With regard to braking, there's a reason my front brake is on my LEFT hand. I can brake & signal at the same time, not that the stopping signal is actually useful these days, people at best will think you're turning right.
Well yes, unless you are signalling left, which is why I have a bike with coaster brakes.... :wacko:

GrasB

Veteran
Did you swap them over yourself or is your bike an immigrant? Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to change them over myself - what with being left-handed (and having filthy bar tape that needs changing anyway).
Yes... on both counts. ^_^

Well yes, unless you are signalling left, which is why I have a bike with coaster brakes.... :wacko:
The signaling to the right ime is far more important than signalling left. On my Bacchetta I solved the problem completely with this: http://www.m5ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/M5_Specials/Ergonomic_Brake_System/ obviously it's tiller steering recumbents only but I can apply either or both brakes from either hand.

Hawk

Veteran
I very rarely use stop signals, they are sometimes helpful when you know that you will need to stop at an unexpected place or for a hazard only you might see. One place I use the signal is here: http://g.co/maps/c28ke

I need to exit this busy road on to the provided cyclepath by going in between the two bollards on the left of the road, just behind where that red car is in the streetview.

The queue of traffic on the left (of which the streetview shows a bus, silver pickup, red car) is in a filter lane waiting to turn left just beyond the shrubbery.

This is quite a quick road in that I am regularly at 25-30mph going down it, with vehicles happily speeding at 40mph at times. I have to come down to about 10-12mph and turn quite sharply to have a chance of getting on to the lowered kerb without just falling over sideways so I use a "slowing" signal on approach. Even if the drivers behind don't have a clue what it means, they are at least more likely to sit up and pay attention.

Ultimately, if I can make drivers slightly confused and thus more cautious (without prompting them in to irrational behaviour of course), this is probably a good thing for my safety.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If I was behind some random cyclist I'd be foolish to assume they knew or cared that I was there. Signals or calls are appropriate in an organised group. 'Stopping' indicates that you are stopping and the others should go round. 'Easy' indicates there's a hazard ahead, so the group should slow. The 'easy' signal is the old-fashioned 'slowing' wave but made small and with the left hand - private to the group.

OP
OP
C

ChristopherV

Thanks for all the replies, guys. When it happened, at first I felt certain he was in the wrong, but he was so adamant about it I began to doubt myself. I feel better about it now.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Hello all. This is my first post here.

A cyclist behind me ran into me and was upset that I hadn't used a hand single to say I was stopping. Is he right? Should you use a hand signal to indicate you're going to stop at a roundabout?

What happened when he hit you? Any damage to your bike? I'm afraid that the first thing most people do nowadays when they cock up is to blame everyone but themselves.

Surprisingly, when some guy pulled out in front of me t'other day, when I pulled up alongside him, he held up his hand in apology! Makes a change from the usual one/two finger salute we usually get, but it completely calmed me down. The guy who hit you hopefully did no damage to your bike, but hopefully did do some damage to his, the pratt.

Top Bottom