STOP...using cars as a weapon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
There's another thread about a police officer being killed by a hit and run driver.

I don't think that thread should be used to discuss the circ's etc, so I have started this one.

People rightly are questioning why a person can kill with a car and it's careless/dangerous driving, but to kill with a knife/hammer it's murder....

Discuss.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Intent...

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Intent.....?

Every driver that hits something in front of them 'intended to keep going' till it was too late, then they had an accident. They then have the comfort of being told they were 'careless'. It was careless of me to leave my fleece at home today when I felt the chill draft blowing through the office....

How can allowing the ton of metal I am in control of hit something be classed as careless?

We have allowed bad/dangerous driving to take hold in this country so much that bad drivers now have more political clout due to their numbers....how many times do we read in the media about motoring/speeding fines with the comments bleating about the 'poor hard done to motorist being used as a cash cow'?

Intent?

It is my intent to drive my vehicle from A to B. On that journey, I drive so that I can bring my vehicle to a halt safely in the distance I can see to be free in front of me. That is how I drive. I do not speed. I drive to the road/weather conditions and posted speed limits - note limit not a target. I do not tail gate, but am subjected to it almost daily.

IMO, a lot of drivers get in their tin cages, and adopt an invincible, selfish persona where only their journey is important and to hell with any other road user's safety.

2000+ annual deaths on the road tell me I am right.

The driver in the associated OP that hit the police officer must have known that doing so would injure or kill them? IMO that is over and above dangerous driving, and shows the driver had a weapon-like mentality regarding their vehicle use at the time.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Even in punishment passes, the intent is to frighten/intimidate the cyclist, not to kill. Sticking a knife in someone cannot really be interpreted as anything other than an intent to kill (or GBH, at least, unless in self defence). So the correct punishment for killing someone via a punishment pass gone wrong or even just stupid driving (this is just an example, not necessarily related to the incident referred to in the OP) should probably be manslaughter, not murder.

But I agree that people need to be educated that motor vehicles should be treated with the same care as a loaded gun, and there should be much harsher penalties for KSI. Or really, for any poor driving that could have led to an accident.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

The driver in the associated OP that hit the police officer must have known that doing so would injure or kill them? IMO that is over and above dangerous driving, and shows the driver had a weapon-like mentality regarding their vehicle use at the time.

the driver associated with the OP has been arrested on suspicion of murder, as that was most likely the driver's intent with the facts at hand.

Driving to work when somebody runs out behind a bus (that old cliche) and ends up getting hit by a passing car is not intent to kill.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
MV, I don't know about you, but I drive 'expecting' someone to run out from behind the bus....

It is my intent to stop, if the road is then clear, then on I go to the next hazard.

My point is a vast number of drivers do not adopt a similar mindset, so someone stepping out in front of them is a massive surprise....and due to their speed/inattention they collide.

My biggest fear is not hitting someone, but is being hit from behind by someone else not watching what they were doing........

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
No, my intent as a safe and courteous driver is not to hit anyone/anything period.

The same can not be said about people who use their vehicles to intimidate other (vulnerable?) road users into subjugating to their wishes - be they close passes, taking priotrity, cutting queues ...et al

Top Bottom