Stopping for a coffee on the Brommie commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gizmo1994

Hi all,

I have just started commuting on my Bormpton Bike Hire Brommie. I could really do with a coffee on my way into the office, likely at a Costa or a Caffè Nero.

I feel a bit self concious taking the folded bike in, as well as carrying my luggage and helmet.

So the question is, Is it socially acceptable to fold and carry the bike into such a coffee shop? Is there an etiquette to adhere to? Or should I go caffeine free?

Thoughts appreciated.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nope. They can be funny if you don't fold it, my local Sainsburys certainly are.

Personally I'd part fold and leave the handlebars up, thus enabling you to pull along in a shopping cart fashion.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi all,

I have just started commuting on my Bormpton Bike Hire Brommie. I could really do with a coffee on my way into the office, likely at a Costa or a Caffè Nero.

I feel a bit self concious taking the folded bike in, as well as carrying my luggage and helmet.

So the question is, Is it socially acceptable to fold and carry the bike into such a coffee shop? Is there an etiquette to adhere to? Or should I go caffeine free?

Thoughts appreciated.
This is exactly the sort of situation a folding bike is designed for. If you fold it, it takes up less space and thus people shouldn't mind it.

mitchibob

Über Member
If you're passing through Swiss Cottage Wednesday to Friday, then Merito Coffee in the market next to the theatre does a fantastic coffee, and lately has a bench and stools. On the days he's not there, you can normally wheel your bike into the Theatre cafe, and as others have said, fold in the back while while you order, but their coffee just isn't as good, so I don't bother anymore.

Honestly, there's lots of potentially good coffee stalls/vans around town that you don't ever really have to take your bike inside, run by nice independent people that care.

If ever I do need to go into a place, I'd just go by how big and busy it was as to whether I felt like I had to completely fold my bike.

When it comes to Co-ops though, of the two near to me, the big-ish one insist of my bike being folded when I go there, whereas at the little, local-type one, they're happy for me to wheel my bike without folding at all, and just fold up the back wheel when I go to pay and fill my t-bag.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Take it in - tuck it under the table if it's busy. Unless you're in one of those towns where no-one talks to strangers you'll get lots of conversations about your fabulous bike.

OP
OP
gizmo1994

gizmo1994

Thanks guys. Stopped this morning on the run across Manchester. Didn't even need to do the full fold. Good coffee and a quick chat about the Brommie.

He is a South West Trains sponsored BBH bike so he is not particularly comfortable at being spoken about while in a Northern town.

Tonight, I'll take him for a trip to the supermarket...

Kell

Veteran
Depends how you're carrying any luggage. If it's attached to the bike it's more problematic.

But in the scenario you describe, I'd go with fully folded, but leave helmet on and rucksack on so I have a free hand for the coffee cup.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Depends how you're carrying any luggage. If it's attached to the bike it's more problematic.

Not really. I have a Carradice bag on a Brompton luggage frame that clips on the front carrier block. I just unclip the bag and use the shoulder strap. Brompton in one hand, leaving the other one free. Plus I don't get a sweaty back by using a rucksack.

MiK1138

Veteran
Just fold it and enjoy your coffee – this is part of the joy of Bromptons. I've taken my Bromptons into everywhere from greasy spoon cafs though airline lounges to 5-star hotels.
Yeah but we've seen your Brompton, anyone who refused entry to your bike would be instantly smited with hemorrhoids by the Velo Gods

Kell

Veteran
Not really. I have a Carradice bag on a Brompton luggage frame that clips on the front carrier block. I just unclip the bag and use the shoulder strap. Brompton in one hand, leaving the other one free. Plus I don't get a sweaty back by using a rucksack.

I also have Brompton luggage. But I didn't like using it for my journeys for precisely that reason. It added another process.

chriscross1966

Über Member
That's why no one talks to anyone else in London. Everyone has got a Brompton, so there is nothing to talk about.

If I park up Henrietta near another Brompton I can guarantee a conversation in 30 seconds.... as soon as they clock the carbon fibre wheel rims and the massive rear hub generally.....

Top Bottom