Stopping rust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frazer

Since Ive moved into my new house, the landlord insists on me keeping my bike outside. It is secure so its not a problem, however today I went out to the bike, which is under a kind of nylon/polyester cover, and i noticed a distinct orangey tinge on the chain and rear gear mech, definitely the beginning of some rust.

Having always kept it in a shed/garage/house before I have never had this problem and assume it must be due to the damp in the air as it has rained a bit the last few days. What can i do or buy to stop it rusting any further??

OP
OP
F

Frazer

also, to add to that post, does anyone know of any really good cycle maintenance books?? The ones i saw today in Borders bookshop seemed a bit skimpy on real details....

stevenb

My Dad uses 'Goldlube' on his motorbike chain. Keeping it well lubed will keep moisture off...you just have to carry out lubing on a more regular basis. :biggrin:

p.s. I know how you feel mate...I work in Property Management and the amount of people who leave there bike in the communal hallways etc that are reluctant to leave their bikes outside.
Mind you...it seems a bit unfair that your landlord won't let you keep your bike in doors....can't you put paper down..or even a cheap rug?

asterix

Comrade Member
My new (steel) bike was kept outside for 3 years after I got it and was used to commute sun, rain or snow. It was kept well oiled and I didn't have any problems until it was nicked in town 15 years later..

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Frazer said:
also, to add to that post, does anyone know of any really good cycle maintenance books?? The ones i saw today in Borders bookshop seemed a bit skimpy on real details....

Id recommend 'Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance' (or mtb - they do one in that flavour too). Haynes do a good one too.

col

Legendary Member
I did the wd40 spraying everywhere thing, when i put mine in the shed a few years back,when i pulled it out of the shed ,there was nothing but a little top rust, which wiped off easily.But being outside all the time ,i would probably go for a waterproof cover of somesort too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep plenty of lube on moving parts and also wipe the bike frame all over with a slightly oily rag when finished, especially around the twiddly bits.

Difficult issue is inside the frame of course. If you ever have it all apart then you can squirt some oil or protective stuff around inside. Having said that, it takes a flipping long time and a lot of winter abuse for a frame to rust through completely in my experience.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Fab Foodie said:
Yep plenty of lube on moving parts and also wipe the bike frame all over with a slightly oily rag when finished, especially around the twiddly bits.

Difficult issue is inside the frame of course. If you ever have it all apart then you can squirt some oil or protective stuff around inside. Having said that, it takes a flipping long time and a lot of winter abuse for a frame to rust through completely in my experience.
Yeah, if you ever get it apart get your hands on some Waxoyl and spray kit, good stuff.

Top Bottom