Stopping someone trying to steal your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've occasionally thought about it but to be honest if they want my bike ... it isn't worth me getting hurt over - whether I would remember that at the time I'm not sure. I do have a photo of my bike on my phone, just in case I was ever in the situation where someone else tried to claim my bike was theirs (plus I'd get the police to phone the LBS and describe my bike and me and hopefully they would confirm my ownership of it).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've seen a bike-jacking in Stokey when visiting number one son. Rider stood not a chance, was barged off from the side out-of-the-blue and was on the deck and the bike was ripped from his toe-clipped foot and he was given a couple of kicks to keep him passive and the bike ridden off on in less than two seconds. Poor tragic hipster didn't know what had happened. I set off in pursuit and they turned into an estate at which point discretion became the better part of valour and I withdrew and dialled 999.

I've tackled local scrotes several times down by Waitrose and at our local station, and once at the Leisure centre. Only once were they trying to nick my bike. One took a swing at me and got slapped, hard, for his troubles and another threatened me with a stanley knife after I gave him my chat up line "is that your Singular? Which model is it?". The others have just scarpered sharpish. Local and BTP plod say we have a problem with decent bikes being left unattended in the town and folk coming from miles away to see what they can nick. There's a nice Brommie left at the station two days a week (go figure that for logic) locked up with a crap chain.....

Hip Priest

Veteran
I came out of my office one lunchtime to find my bike being stolen, and I completely froze. I couldn't have challenged the thief, as he was a big bugger with a neck tattoo, but on reflection I should have just shouted "Stop! Thief!" from a distance.

Not my finest hour, but it wasn't a very good bike anyway. And the police officer said 'better to lose a bike than end up getting stabbed'.

edindave

Über Member
Intervene? It depends.

1.jpg

"I need your bibshorts, your SPDs, and your BTwin Triban"

ayceejay

Guru
I read in the newspaper that some bloke grabbed a cell phone from someone standing at the bus stop, then ran away but (un)fortunately ran under the approaching bus. I would call this instant karma and what I would wish for whoever who stole or attempted to steal my bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Luckily I never ride anywhere urban; all my riding is in open country so the chances of a bikejack are pretty slim. Actually somebody was saying a few days ago on CC that they were amazed that theft of valuable bikes from riders isn't more widespread; maybe it's because thieves know they'd have to take on an angry and desperate rider.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
May be the thought of riding it afterwards is enough to put them off as it requires more effort than pushing buttons on a play station.^_^

I thnk I'd just groan and sulk these days.

As a young man (late 80s?) I had a Brick Lane Special taken from outside a corner shop. I saw the wheel start to roll and leapt out of the door.

A man was on it and about to ride off. I'm afraid I caused him great pain and (to my surprise) didn't let up even when he was rolled up foetus-like on the floor. A couple of guys from a local scrapyard pulled me gently away from him ("You've done enough, mate"). All a bit surreal as they had welding masks tilted over their heads. I am little, but I think my fury was such that I gave him a thorough biffing with head, fist and boot.

The chap was in the gutter and groaning. The shop keeper asked if I wanted the Police, but I didn't. He refused payment for my goods.

When I got home, my housemates thought I'd been beaten up, as my 'felling punch' was a head butt and had opened the skin above my eye. My face and t-shirt were red with blood. To this day I am still joshed about pretending I hadn't been mugged.

The frame of the Brick Lane Special eventually cracked below the steering head on Upper Ground some months later and I stripped it for bits. I think the thief was very poorly when I left him and in my youth I was pleased to have caused that. I am more reflective now.

I do not think it is dignified for a middle-aged man to biff people - and in my case it would be comically ineffective too.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
If I was riding and someone tried to take my bike: I would push them away and ride away (even if it means breaking the law by going through a red light etc). My insurance doesnt cover bike-jacking as it isnt locked to anything.

If my bike was locked up: Where I leave my bike at college and work is in a very visible place with lots of people regularly passing it. However I would probably creep up behind the person, place them on the ground (by restraining them), and then get other people to call security.

If I saw someone elses bike being stolen: I would probably approach the person, point out my helmet camera, and then advise them to stop what they are doing. If they didnt then I would just call the police.

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
I cycle along CS3 and I was surprised to see an area near Poplar that I cycle along every day appear on the local news as a bike jacking hotspot. Must admit never had any trouble. But you have to play it by ear. Never fight fights you cant win. I once stopped a mugging down my road but it was a one on one situation. Might have thought twice if there were a few of them. Especially without a baseball bat in my hands.

Top Bottom