Stopping someone trying to steal your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
I was reading a article last week about the thefts of mobile phones
http://www.gmp.police.uk/content/section.html?readform&s=C16B1A79BE43317D80257961003C7F73

And this got me thinking, if you was out and about on your bike (and considering some bikes are worth a couple of Thousands of pounds)
Someone trys to stop you on your bike (for the sole intention of trying to stealing it from you)
Or your bike is locked up and you see someone trying to steal it,

Do you let them have it.
Do you put up a fight.
Pedal away as fast as you can

I would try and pedal a bit faster, if that was not possible I would try and run him/her over, or get off the bike and hit them with it.

I know its is a strange question, but in this day and age some people will see a bike as £££ signs.

Yes, yes, then definitely

Not sure what I'd do to be honest.

But it's an interesting question you raise about "bike-jacking" - ie just taking a bike off a rider - especially with some very expensive bikes around.

A few years ago I was in Hackney - one of the nicer and decidedly trendy bits.

I was stopped on a corner faffing with something and a police car pulled up - I thought they were going to tell me that I was some sort of traffic obstruction but they advised me to keep moving - said there had been a fair few thefts nearby where folk had just had their bikes taken from them. The bike I was on looked rather nice and nickable maybe.

Gary E

Veteran
My bike's not worth that much but anyone trying to take it from me had better be pretty serious about it (or have friends with him) or I guarantee he'll come off worse! :cursing:

Gary E

Veteran
My bike's not worth that much but anyone trying to take it from me had better be pretty serious about it (or have friends with him) or I guarantee he'll come off worse! :cursing:
Just to make it clear, I would never suggest that fighting back is always the answer, it's a personal decision, but personally "touch my bike and I break your face!"

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
i think @ianrauk got caught up in the 2011 london riots by someone in lewisham trying to steal his bike, so he punched them.

Yup....
I wonder if his nose healed straight......

Davidc

Guru
I might give in (not being in the first flush of youth any more) but I'd have a good try at switching on the alarm before they left, and at knocking them off as they rode off (especially if a bus was passing at the time)

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
And this got me thinking, if you was out and about on your bike (and considering some bikes are worth a couple of Thousands of pounds)
Someone trys to stop you on your bike (for the sole intention of trying to stealing it from you)
Or your bike is locked up and you see someone trying to steal it,

Do you let them have it.
Do you put up a fight.
Pedal away as fast as you can

I would try and pedal a bit faster, if that was not possible I would try and run him/her over, or get off the bike and hit them with it.

I know its is a strange question, but in this day and age some people will see a bike as £££ signs.

I've had this thought a few times to be honest, especially when being overtaken by a plain van..... I do most of my cycling solo through country lanes and I'm always prepared for a turn and sprint. If I couldn't cycle away though whoever it is must be prepared to leave the scene looking less symmetrical than they arrived in...

I'd do the thief some damage to be honest.

My betters half's then 17 year old son was on his BMX two years ago when a Mercedes pulled alongside, and the passenger pushed him off.
The passenger door came open and the guy tried to wrestle the bike from him.
Unfortunately for the thief this lad is 6'5" and built like something proverbial. He held on to the bike and headbutted the guy so hard he knocked him out cold, then pedaled off.

If you're going to commit a crime, you should be prepared to accept the repercussions.

Top Bottom