Storing bikes outside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Knightly85

My bike had to be stored outside, on a bike rack in a private secure car park and I have two locks on it. Obviously it rain last night now my bike is all wet, I want to keep the bike in good conduction. Is it wise to get a cover for it for when I'm no using it?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If it was my bike I would cover it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cover .l. and make sure the saddle is locked to the frame, or take seat post and saddle indoors with you when leaving the bike (mark the post with tape so you know where to put it back).
presumably you have two gold rated d locks? Or a D and a chain say

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Cover .l. and make sure the saddle is locked to the frame, or take seat post and saddle indoors with you when leaving the bike (mark the post with tape so you know where to put it back).
presumably you have two gold rated d locks? Or a D and a chain say

I will take the saddle that's a good idea, I don't have D locks I have coded chain locks. One cheap one over the front wheel and frame and a more heave duty one locking it to the bike rack.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Smear all chromed steel parts (nuts, bolts, brackets, possibly headset and some brake parts) with vaseline to prevent rust. This also works against winter salt even if your bike is normally parked under cover - just wipe it off in spring.

Gunk

Guru
I would suggest you buy some ACF50 spray, spray it on to a rag and make sure every nut, bolt and fastening is coated. I’ve used it on motorcycles and it is brilliant stuff, it’ll keep your bike looking like new.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

I would suggest you buy some ACF50 spray, spray it on to a rag and make sure every nut, bolt and fastening is coated. I’ve used it on motorcycles and it is brilliant stuff, it’ll keep your bike looking like new.

I'll get some.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

20200428_091501.jpg
20200428_091459.jpg
20200428_091452.jpg
20200428_091448.jpg

This is how my bike is, as you can see it's raining and I've ordered a cover to go over it witch will be here Friday.

Top Bottom