Storing bikes outside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had to open a lock with an unknown combination & I was surprised how quick it was to just sit there & scroll through all known combinations.

Can I suggest that you get a stronger chain & padlock - maybe a heavy motorcycle one as you can presumably leave it there at all times. A sold secure D-lock like this one for when you are locking the bike elsewhere would be advisable.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0016M1ZBE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_

The cable lock at the front offers no protection, most bike thieves will have cable cutters at least.

https://www.soldsecure.com/search/ will give you some ideas of what's out there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wheel bender racks :sad: No longer legal for new builds in Norfolk because they're so easy to cut and often leave one wheel insecure.

If you really can't find anywhere to lock both wheels, consider putting the bike sideways across three bays or putting a bucket of concrete with a hoop to lock the front wheel and frame to.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Wheel bender racks :sad: No longer legal for new builds in Norfolk because they're so easy to cut and often leave one wheel insecure.

If you really can't find anywhere to lock both wheels, consider putting the bike sideways across three bays or putting a bucket of concrete with a hoop to lock the front wheel and frame to.

Yeah it's the only place I can put the bike, it is a private secure car park with an electric gate. Maybe putting it across is a good idea.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Yeah it's the only place I can put the bike, it is a private secure car park with an electric gate. Maybe putting it across is a good idea.

I would put it across the rack (as long as nobody else uses it) and use good quality D locks and a cover, the cover will do 2 things, it will protect your bike and hide your security measures

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Your poor bedraggled bike! You definitely need that cover.

Security is to your own judgement, some balance of convenience, cost and risk. If it's already behind locked gates, that takes the risk down massively. Any lock at all will deter the casual thief; no lock in the world will stop a determined pro.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Your poor bedraggled bike! You definitely need that cover.

Security is to your own judgement, some balance of convenience, cost and risk. If it's already behind locked gates, that takes the risk down massively. Any lock at all will deter the casual thief; no lock in the world will stop a determined pro.

I live in a pretty good area, but that don't mean it's safe. It's my first bike and it's a good one so yeah I want it to be safe, i have a cover coming Friday but it's going to be raining all day today so there's not much I can really do about it. I'll buy some spray and keep it oiled.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I live in a pretty good area, but that don't mean it's safe. It's my first bike and it's a good one so yeah I want it to be safe, i have a cover coming Friday but it's going to be raining all day today so there's not much I can really do about it. I'll buy some spray and keep it oiled.
The odd day shouldn't matter much if the bike is oiled and greased, especially if you're not riding salted roads. Some days you have to ride in the rain and the bike doesn't melt. It's when they stand out naked day and night for weeks that serious corrosion happens.

dodgy

No way you can bring the bike inside your home? Get a big plastic bag and put the frame and wheels (off the frame) inside and carry it in to the house is what I'd do. I hate to say it, but your bike will get targeted. It's a gift.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

No way you can bring the bike inside your home? Get a big plastic bag and put the frame and wheels (off the frame) inside and carry it in to the house is what I'd do. I hate to say it, but your bike will get targeted. It's a gift.

That's not really an option, the only reason I have a bike is because that bike rack recently got put up. I'll just have to be as safe as I can and hope it will be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I will take the saddle that's a good idea, I don't have D locks I have coded chain locks. One cheap one over the front wheel and frame and a more heave duty one locking it to the bike rack.

Oh no, get rid of them, they won't stop anyone getting your bike. You need one or two gold D locks.

Top Bottom