Storing bikes outside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No room for something like this anywhere,
Or get landlord permission for two "coat hooks" then put up two ladder hooks that can hang a road bike by its top tube. Just remember to put them at a height where coats don't look silly and put coats on them during any landlord or agent visits.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Or get landlord permission for two "coat hooks" then put up two ladder hooks that can hang a road bike by its top tube. Just remember to put them at a height where coats don't look silly and put coats on them during any landlord or agent visits.

I own my flat.

Reactions: mjr
View attachment 518493 View attachment 518494 View attachment 518495 View attachment 518496

This is how my bike is, as you can see it's raining and I've ordered a cover to go over it witch will be here Friday.
That is not going to be secure, ever. Doesn't matter what locks you use, thief will cut rack and remove locks at leisure later. Access won't be a problem for them either.
Mine is only reasonably secure because it not visible to the general public. I'd actually suspect a cover would be the most effective part of the minimal security, simply by making the bike less visible. Only a bit, though...
If it's a choice between this and indoors, indoors. Because I think it is other wise a choice between indoors and no bike...eventually.
:sad:

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

That is not going to be secure, ever. Doesn't matter what locks you use, thief will cut rack and remove locks at leisure later. Access won't be a problem for them either.
Mine is only reasonably secure because it not visible to the general public. I'd actually suspect a cover would be the most effective part of the minimal security, simply by making the bike less visible. Only a bit, though...
If it's a choice between this and indoors, indoors. Because I think it is other wise a choice between indoors and no bike...eventually.
:sad:
Wow is it really that bad.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow is it really that bad.
Whereabouts do you live? Clearly some areas and town / cities are far higher risk than others. If you live in a built up area, I don’t think I’d leave a nice bike outside like that.
Do you have a car that’ll take a bike in boot? Store it there overnight, with the boot opening backed up tight to a wall 👍 bit of a faff but secure

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Whereabouts do you live? Clearly some areas and town / cities are far higher risk than others. If you live in a built up area, I don’t think I’d leave a nice bike outside like that.
Do you have a car that’ll take a bike in boot? Store it there overnight, with the boot opening backed up tight to a wall 👍 bit of a faff but secure

I live in Surrey, it's s nice area but that don't mean my bike is not at risk.

CXRAndy

Guru
I live in Surrey, it's s nice area but that don't mean my bike is not at risk.
I you continue to leave your bike out in those conditions it wont stay in good condition very long. Get it indoors up on a wall if space a premium

Plus some scrote will nick it in 30 seconds flat

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Absolutely without any doubt whatsoever. Sorry, but your bike WILL DEFINITELY be stolen if you leave it there, just a matter of time.

Sorry 🤷‍♂️ :thumbsdown:
Often these days bike thieves will be in Hi-Viz jackets, driving a van and sometimes with a clipboard looking like they're acting in an 'official capacity' as they remove bikes so that .................................................nobody notices them. :cursing:

Top Bottom