Storing bikes outside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
If you must leave it outside I would take both wheels and saddle inside or perhaps in the car. Don't leave the bike with the the seatpost tube open in the rain. Can you put a big chain around one of those brick pillars and chain it behind them so as not to be so visible from the street? That bike rack is ok to prevent a bike from falling over, maybe, but a few minutes with a hacksaw or bolt cutter and the bike is gone.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Yep and a cover over it and a couple of D locks better still :okay: And as above, you don't want the seat tube full of water, so cover the hole

I put a bag in the hole.

CXRAndy

Guru
The problem with removing parts is the time faffing but it back together before each ride

Probably quicker just to take it inside, safer, dry:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem with removing parts is the time faffing but it back together before each ride

Probably quicker just to take it inside, safer, dry:okay:
Not necessarily safer if there's a toddler and nowhere to store it (the bike) though

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

20200428_175842.jpg

It's a big tree

mustang1

Guru
Quick spray before and after use with GT85.
Hi, do you mean the frame or the drivetrain? What does it do?

mustang1

Guru
I've left my bikes out a number of times.
Once it had punctures in both tyres; someone left nails in the tyres to show they did not want the bike there.
Another time I found it with a note saying it's blocking the pavement (yet it was less of an intrusion that the cars parked on the pavement.
Yet another time I found it with crisp packets, soda drink cans, various coffee cups and chocolate wrappers inserted into the wheel spokes, the rack, the bottle cages etc.
Twice stolen.

I leave my two main bikes out all the time regardless of weather though I might put them away if I've just cleaned them and it's due to rain later that night. Or not. Some years ago when it snowed really heavily for a few days, I left the bike out and it had a bunch of snow piled onto it (I had no idea a skinny bike frames could gather up so much snow). The brakes worked ok but the gears didnt change well until about 20 minutes into the ride when things had warmed up (can't explain why the brakes still worked though, kind of).

My SO left her bike out, properly covered, and when she next went to use it, the chain was tad rusty. Unsure why. It was a new bike and I had not applied any lube to it so it had whatever lube it came with (which IMO is supposed to be pretty good stuff). Anyway, it's never rusted after I lubed it up.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
If it were me I'd have at least two very heavy D-Locks on that bike, through the frame and wheels front and rear keeping the bike locked sideways to the rack. It will be slightly more visible from the road but not a huge amount you can do about that. Those racks are as previously mentioned pretty horrendous both in terms of usability and security. It looks like they have been bolted to the wall but what's not obvious is whether or not the bolts are protected - it would be very easy for a couple of people to remove the bolts and then lift the bike and rack over the railings - it wouldn't take long and would be quiet so easily done at night and the locks could be removed later.

Unfortunately it's never going to be secure there and as long as you are able to accept that then OK. You don't mention whether or not you are in a ground floor apartment or not, if on the top floor I'd be inclined to speak to my closest neighbour and ask if they were ok with storing it in the common area between the doors/stairs.

I used to live in a 2 bed flat in the city centre and kept the bike effectively in the doorway to the kitchen/living space, it didn't take long to re-arrange the space slightly so that it wasn't in the way owning your flat might make that easier if you can put one of these up - that way the bike is stored vertically against the wall and is mostly out of the way. It's not ideal granted, but then spending £100s on locks and bike covers in addition to the bike it would be a shame for it to be stolen.

tom73

Guru
Try and cover it some how bin bags or a cheep tarpaulin. Until your other one arrives.
Give it a good wipe down as often as you can in the mean time too.
Like others have said get some better locks and take the front wheel off.
Maybe an alarm type lock may help anything that draws attention to someone trying to make off with it. Is better than nothing.
Sadly the big weak point is the rack but thats not in your control. You need to find a better place really.
You get use to a bike in side .... ok bikes :whistle:

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

20200429_072508.jpg

Ok, so the good new is my bike is still there. I was checking it at night and I realised that in the photo above you see a light, that light is on a timer and it shines right on the bike rack, which obviously lights up the bikes (I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing) it turns off at 1am.

Top Bottom