Storm Isha

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The names are only "stupid" if you don't realise that they are actual names used for people.
And they first named them, for the UK & Ireland, in 2015*.

*From the BBC link given earlier on why there are so many storms.

Some people have quote... 'stupid' names. :whistle: I love the hype about 'the current seasonal storms'. Once commonly known as winter.:rolleyes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkZz-0LukYM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTB7h1GWkE

Yes, I know the above are more snow and ice (I was there as a two year old :okay:) rather than 'storms', but all this hype about supposedly unusual 'killer winds', really?🧐

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
At this late hour I've just let my mutt out for a pee, only to see that my empty beer bottle recycling bin has ended up in front of my door. This has never happened before in the over six years I've lived here. The almost full to the brim bin was emptied yesterday morning. I think it needs to be refilled asap to stop this happening again. :okay:

nc_ohc=M20IsewvpQkAX-JHNBr&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
The names are only "stupid" if you don't realise that they are actual names used for people.
And they first named them, for the UK & Ireland, in 2015*.

*From the BBC link given earlier on why there are so many storms.

The names are also given in collaboration between three countries - UK, Ireland and the Netherlands, with a list of names agreed between the three at the start of each season. The Netherlands being the reason we get names like Gerrit or Henk included on the list.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I remember a very stormy night when I was in Uni in Aberystwyth (a good few years ago!). I'd wandered round town just to experience the conditions but quickly realised this was a bad idea as that slates were coming loose off the houses there was the regular sound of them smashing in the streets so decided it was safest walking in the middle of the streets to reduce the risk of decapitation. To be fair I'd have been unlucky to be in exactly the wrong spot at the wrong time, but the smashing sound every minute or less got my attention.

Anyhow, the next morning I looked out at the seafront promenade from the window of my (prime location!) digs and it was glorious weather. Then I thought "something looks different". In the middle of the prom was a pair of chest freezers. I realised the quite sizeable ice cream shop / cafe had totally disappeared. This wasn't just a small shed but maybe the size of 3 shipping containers and had been smashed to matchwood. A well built garden shed type building belonging to the RNLI was also missing but was intact albeit on its side a couple of hundred yards up the high street

The large hall of residence up the other end of the prom used to have the ground floor windows boarded up in winter as the crashing waves often threw up rocks in bad weather

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Some people have quote... 'stupid' names. :whistle: I love the hype about 'the current seasonal storms'. Once commonly known as winter.:rolleyes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkZz-0LukYM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTB7h1GWkE

Yes, I know the above are more snow and ice (I was there as a two year old :okay:) rather than 'storms', but all this hype about supposedly unusual 'killer winds', really?🧐

Those were newsworthy because they were unusual. They weren't just what is "commonly known as winter", they were exceptional winters.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I remember a very stormy night when I was in Uni in Aberystwyth (a good few years ago!). I'd wandered round town just to experience the conditions but quickly realised this was a bad idea as that slates were coming loose off the houses there was the regular sound of them smashing in the streets so decided it was safest walking in the middle of the streets to reduce the risk of decapitation. To be fair I'd have been unlucky to be in exactly the wrong spot at the wrong time, but the smashing sound every minute or less got my attention.

Anyhow, the next morning I looked out at the seafront promenade from the window of my (prime location!) digs and it was glorious weather. Then I thought "something looks different". In the middle of the prom was a pair of chest freezers. I realised the quite sizeable ice cream shop / cafe had totally disappeared. This wasn't just a small shed but maybe the size of 3 shipping containers and had been smashed to matchwood. A well built garden shed type building belonging to the RNLI was also missing but was intact albeit on its side a couple of hundred yards up the high street

The large hall of residence up the other end of the prom used to have the ground floor windows boarded up in winter as the crashing waves often threw up rocks in bad weather

Would that be the storm a Mr Fish famously dismissed as not going to happen?
I was wakened in the middle of the night and on looking out saw a garden shed moving at speed down the road. I was up promptly in the morning and on the phone to a roofer contractor who worked for us. I knew there would be damage and got to him before anybody else so we got our missing slates sorted promptly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Would that be the storm a Mr Fish famously dismissed as not going to happen?
I was wakened in the middle of the night and on looking out saw a garden shed moving at speed down the road. I was up promptly in the morning and on the phone to a roofer contractor who worked for us. I knew there would be damage and got to him before anybody else so we got our missing slates sorted promptly.

I think it was two or three years earlier.

Top Bottom