Stoves - talk to me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
OK, so Trangia 25 set bought, also this lot:

upload_2019-4-9_12-46-45.png

Yay for 20% off at Millets. Any suggestions on a chopping knife? Also where can I actually buy the fuel...petrol stations? *shrug*

OK, so Trangia 25 set bought, also this lot:

Yay for 20% off at Millets. Any suggestions on a chopping knife? Also where can I actually buy the fuel...petrol stations? *shrug*

Yaay! Nothing like committing! :-)

I'm in Holland, so can't recommend where you can buy fuel in the UK. I'm currently using BioEthanol I picked up in a local hardware superstore.
Handy hint: In case of emergency check out a chemist/pharmacy for meths.
As for the knife I got a cheapy from Decathlon a few years ago and it is still going strong.

The disadvantages are that if cooking a big meal, or a complicated meal you may need to refuel it. That necessitates letting the burner cool down. A bit of experience and that gets better.!

If not a minimalist packer it is always possible to carry a second burner. I have one though must admit that I haven't carried two yet.

Good hardware stores normally stock meths.
That where I'll look for it when on tour in the UK.
When at home I get it from Wilko for £3.50 for 500 ml.

If you find the meths is blackening the bottom of your pans with soot then adding a little water to the meths will stop this.
It also cools the flame so it takes longer to bring things to the boil but you get a more gentle simmer if you want to cook something like pasta.

Luck .......... ^_^

The Trangia is great boopop - good call (and that disc you got is very handy) - but you might find it handy to have a small thing to run off gas cartridges. Can be good for fast brews, more flexibility cooking, and as a back-up. I also carry adaptors so I can run off four types of gas cartridges but I'm a bit extreme in that.

Trangia - I also recommend the metal plate - I prefer to use it as a lid on the pans rather than the frying pan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
The Trangia is great boopop - good call (and that disc you got is very handy) - but you might find it handy to have a small thing to run of gas cartridges. Can be good for fast brews, more flexibility cooking, and as a back-up. I also carry adaptors so I can run off four types of gas cartridges but I'm a bit extreme in that.

Trangia - I also recommend the metal plate - I prefer to use it as a lid on the pans rather than the frying pan.

Thanks, remember, I don't drink hot drinks, so there's nothing for me to brew. Stove turns up tomorrow :smile:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'm warming (aha) to the idea of a Trangia again. Currently on Amazon the Trangia 25 is actually cheaper than the 27! Weighs a bit more than the 25 but it's nice to be able to cook for others I think, so I'll go for that. I'm definitely not planning on re-hydrating prepackaged meals so if it's better for cooking it seems like the best option. Now I just need a bowl, cutlery, knife, chopping board.

I use a flexible plastic cutting board and a Kuhn Rikon paring knife, yellow with blade sheath. A small wooden spoon is also good.

Top Bottom