Strained my effing ankle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arse. Monday, stepped out of a van carrying a Kona Africa and my foot turned under me. Jebus Christ twas painful. I haven't twisted an ankle since 1982 when I went down the vert at Brixton skate park with my foot under the front of a skateboard. Did sod all Monday and Tuesday. It's our busiest time of year so my timing is all fecked up, I'm off to London for 8 days of nonstop Bike Week roadshows on Friday. Sigh. Anyhoo. It seemed to be healing ok, from unable to put any weight on it at all to being able to walk ok so long as my foot was strapped up and laced tight in my high-top walking boots. I was taking it easy today, but this afternoon took a bad step. OMG. It wasn't all that painful but the whole world turned grey, I felt nauseous and then my body pulled rank on me. It said SLEEP! and I was thinking well, I'll have a sit down for five minutes on the sofa but I don't have time to bloody..................... ...............out, like a light for an hour and a half in a busy workshop with people shouting, music playing. Weird shoot man.

Danny

Legendary Member
Your body was telling you to stop. Sounds like you should put your foot up for at least another day. I realise that won't be easy, but if you don't you risk being out of action for all of next week.

Keith Oates

Janner
Don't know the technical terms but a strained/sprained ankle is painful. I did mine in playing rugby when I was younger and it took ages to fully recover. Rest it as much as you can Mickle, the process should then speed up a little!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

Nae luck big fella.

Sprained ankle is ligament stretch or tear. Did it swell up? There's degrees of strain and slightly different guidance for each level. Sounds to me like a level 2, if it swelled up.

You shouldn't put any weight on it for a few days but you SHOULD try to keep moving it. Sounds daft but, try writing the alphabet in the air with the toes of the sprained foot every so often. It will help to prevent build-up of fluid and crap around the strain. Strapping will have a very limited effect. You'll probably get some quality bruising in a day or two.

I know what I'm talking about; I have ankles made of pure cadbury's dairy milk, and as a result my glittering career as a below-par 5asides player was cruelly cut short. But not after about 4 or 5 sprains on each foot!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am a veteran ankle sprainer; my best ever was when I jumped off the balcony route on the climbing wall at the Sobell Sports Centre in north London and landed on the edge of a mat, I believe I actually dislocated it then somehow managed to manipulate the joint as I lay screaming in pain, half fainting and clutching at my ankle. A physio told me that it takes two years to recover fully from a bad sprain; you're actually better off breaking a bone because that will heal fully in 6 weeks. Now that you have stretched and torn all those supporting structures you need to take action to rebuild the strength. I strongly recommend you invest in a physio's wobble board, this is a circular board with a wooden ball underneath. You stand on it and rotate, which stretches and strengthens the ankle throughout a 360 degree movement. You can find these on physio equipment websites, I have one and it's an extremely good way of rehabilitating an ankle injury. Part of my problem is that my fitness comes from cycling and skiing, neither of which requires much ankle support so whenever I go walking, especially DOWN mountains, I have to be extremely careful not to go over on an ankle.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Thanks for all the advice peeps. Taking it easy today but I must go into work, I'll just have to supervise all the hard work and running around from the comfort of the sofa!

Spandex has a hard day ahead of him! Tee hee.

gbb

Legendary Member
Like Tet and Rigid, i used to have weak ankles, all from one injury, so take care.
What i found was a badly sprained it once, it took a couple of weeks to get better, but i found myself spraining it every couple of months :tongue:
Then i tore the ligaments...now that was unbelieveably painful...so much so i had to drag myself to the toilet, even standing up with crutches and the damaged leg off the floor was excruciating.
Took a year to get better.
Watch out for it stiffening up as well. My left foot never did get its flexibility back. Its fairly rigid 20 years later :rolleyes:.

domtyler

Über Member
Ahhh, poor Mickle. I suppose if you have weak bones then these kind of things are to be expected though huh?

Top Bottom