Strange clicking from rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo_123

Regular
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some input/advice. So I removed my rear wheel for the first time the other day, bearing in mind I'm brand new to cycling and had the bike a few weeks. I have put the back wheel back on, successfully I thought but now I'm not sure. Having had the bike on the turbo this morning every full rotation of the pedal brings a strange click sound from the rear derailleur. It's kinda in between the sound when it's trying to change gear and when you backpedal. Any ideas what this could be? Is it a source for concern?

Thanks

OP
OP
Robbo_123

Robbo_123

Regular
[QUOTE 4880992, member: 9609"]if the click is in good timing with rotating the crank then it is probably a crank or pedal noise.

but if not and the noise has just appeared after putting the wheel back on, my first course of action would be to take it back off then put it back on again, may be there is a bit of dirt trapped somewhere or it is a little bit misaligned. If it is still making it then you will need to investigate further, may be you have accidentally moved the barrel adjuster.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will try taking it off and putting it back on. The click is in time with the pedal stroke but I can see the rear derailleur actually do like a tiny jump on each click so I'm pretty sure that's where the clicks coming from. Oh and by the way what's the barrel adjuster look like?

midlife

Guru
Have you bent the excess cable to the front mech into the arc of the cranks ? That clicks at the same during the crank rotation

OP
OP
Robbo_123

Robbo_123

Regular
[QUOTE 4881011, member: 9609"]that sort of sounds like a stiff or damaged link in the chain, but that wouldn't be in time with the pedal stroke as the chain revolves slower than the crank.

barrel adjuster[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. I refitted the wheel and the noise seems to have gone. It could have just been me being paranoid haha I'm all very new to this and not the best when it comes to tools and diy etc. Also the bike only has around 50miles on it max so how would I damage a link or it gets stiff?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also the bike only has around 50miles on it max so how would I damage a link or it gets stiff?
Getting in a horrendous chain tangle while taking the wheel out, perhaps, which is more likely if you hadn't put the bike in top gear before removal. Sounds like it wasn't that, though. Congratulations on troubleshooting that one :smile:

OP
OP
Robbo_123

Robbo_123

Regular
Getting in a horrendous chain tangle while taking the wheel out, perhaps, which is more likely if you hadn't put the bike in top gear before removal. Sounds like it wasn't that, though. Congratulations on troubleshooting that one :smile:

Haha thanks to GCN I had already learnt this trick. YouTube does have its advantages haha...

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom