1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange feelings in the legs...

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Amanda P, 10 Aug 2007.

1. Amanda P

Amanda P The CycleChat user formerly known as Uncle Phil

As you may have seen, I've been raving about what is rapidly becoming known as the Flying Banana. I've just taken it out for its first five mile round the block.

Actually, it hasn't taken me long to get the hang of remembering to keep pedalling. It hasn't bitten me yet and I've managed to avoid any clipless moments.

The wierdest thing is walking immediately after getting off the bike.

It feels like the floor's pushing up against each foot just before I lift it to take the next stride.

I don't know about the mystic feeling of one-ness with the machine, improving my spin or any of that stuff, but the floor-pushing-back thing is wierd enough on its own to make the experience worthwhile.

Just thought I'd share...

2. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

give it a week. my guess (uneducated) is that you're trying a bit too hard and wrestling a bit with the pedal stroke because you're concentrating. this is the best way of staying on the bike. after a few days you'll limber up, your muscles will relax and you'll do this coasting thing where you work with the kinetic energy of the wheel and drivetrain, you'll realise you're breaking too, automatically. this will help defeat the perils of gravity post-ride you seem to be experiencing.

good, i love riding fixed. it's amazing. i'm such an idiot.

i swear it has made me a much much better cyclist, especially on the hills, but just in terms of cadence.

3. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Weirdo!! I too love riding my fixed, as much as my [geared] recumbent. Don't get any funny leg feelings like that though.

4. smiorgan

smiorgan New Member

Dude, maybe your bright yellow bike is inducing a flashback... you know, from those "experiments" you did in college

Love the bike btw

5. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

It won't bite you, yer clipless and quite safe.
    That'll soon pass, it's 'cuz yer new to it. (do you remember those bouncy space-walk things?) ;)

6. Blonde

Blonde New Member

I had the opposite problem yesterday. Getting onto the 'normal' bike after two weeks of riding exclusively fixed, for the first hour or so, it felt like something was broken, or as if the brake was rubbing, until I got used to it!

7. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

I get that, to me it feels like the crank arms are working loose. :blush: