Strange feelings in the legs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
As you may have seen, I've been raving about what is rapidly becoming known as the Flying Banana. I've just taken it out for its first five mile round the block.

Actually, it hasn't taken me long to get the hang of remembering to keep pedalling. It hasn't bitten me yet and I've managed to avoid any clipless moments.

The wierdest thing is walking immediately after getting off the bike.

It feels like the floor's pushing up against each foot just before I lift it to take the next stride.

I don't know about the mystic feeling of one-ness with the machine, improving my spin or any of that stuff, but the floor-pushing-back thing is wierd enough on its own to make the experience worthwhile.

Just thought I'd share...

peejay78

give it a week. my guess (uneducated) is that you're trying a bit too hard and wrestling a bit with the pedal stroke because you're concentrating. this is the best way of staying on the bike. after a few days you'll limber up, your muscles will relax and you'll do this coasting thing where you work with the kinetic energy of the wheel and drivetrain, you'll realise you're breaking too, automatically. this will help defeat the perils of gravity post-ride you seem to be experiencing.

good, i love riding fixed. it's amazing. i'm such an idiot.

i swear it has made me a much much better cyclist, especially on the hills, but just in terms of cadence.

smiorgan

Dude, maybe your bright yellow bike is inducing a flashback... you know, from those "experiments" you did in college

Love the bike btw

Mr Phoebus

Uncle Phil said:
It hasn't bitten me yet and I've managed to avoid any clipless moments.

It won't bite you, yer clipless and quite safe.
Uncle Phil said:
The wierdest thing is walking immediately after getting off the bike.

It feels like the floor's pushing up against each foot just before I lift it to take the next stride.
That'll soon pass, it's 'cuz yer new to it. (do you remember those bouncy space-walk things?) ;)

Blonde

I had the opposite problem yesterday. Getting onto the 'normal' bike after two weeks of riding exclusively fixed, for the first hour or so, it felt like something was broken, or as if the brake was rubbing, until I got used to it!

Mr Phoebus

Blonde said:
I had the opposite problem yesterday. Getting onto the 'normal' bike after two weeks of riding exclusively fixed, for the first hour or so, it felt like something was broken, or as if the brake was rubbing, until I got used to it!
I get that, to me it feels like the crank arms are working loose. :blush:

Top Bottom