Strange Gear changes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I've just had my bike serviced at my LBS they changed the drailer for a reconditioned one and the rear cassette from a 32 to a 29.

The bike feels wierd now, when I am cylcing and then stop to coast then begin cycling again it feels like there is no resistance on the crank for half a revolution before taking up drive again, this is anoying when standing its like your foot free falling to the bottom point of the crank (hope this makes sense) I spent a £100 on this and its not feeling good.

Any thoughts, please.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Sounds like the pawls contacting the freehub have been over greased and are not springing back properly.

d1dd_ringle_pawl.jpg

They look something like the above and they are sprung so retract when freewheeling and then spring back to contact with the freehub when pedalling.

I'd go back to the LBS unless you fancy a spot of fettling.

OP
OP
roundisland
Just back to the lbs they say its nothing to do with the work they have done, the work they did was,

New rear wheel bearing
new drailer
new rear cassette

everything was working fine before it went only develped the problem while in the lbs.

They have quoted me about £50 to put right ie new wheel.

PpPete

Legendary Member
roundisland said:
Just back to the lbs they say its nothing to do with the work they have done, the work they did was,

New rear wheel bearing
new drailer
new rear cassette

everything was working fine before it went only develped the problem while in the lbs.

They have quoted me about £50 to put right ie new wheel.

At worst all it needs is a new freehub. Not a new wheel. Sounds like a LBS to avoid.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd firstly check that it is the pawls - take the wheel off and spin the cassette backwards and then forwards - it should contact straight away when moved forwards.

If the cassette continues to move forwards without contacting, it is the pawls that are at fault and you will need to disassemble the hub.

What hubs are we talking about here?

gbb

Legendary Member
Its not an old style screw on freewheel is it ?
Thats a sensation you always get until they tighten right up. Bloody horrible feeling :smile:

OP
OP
roundisland
gbb said:
Its not an old style screw on freewheel is it ?
Thats a sensation you always get until they tighten right up. Bloody horrible feeling :smile:

I dont think so, the bike is a 1990 dawes galaxy, but it is a horrible feeling when your leaving a junction and the crank just spins before taking up drive.

I will check the other suggestions out later, thanks to all!

RedBike

You can't get at the rear wheel bearings without taking the hub apart. Although dis-assembling a hub shouldn't effect a freehub if someone used a hammer in the process or been a bit liberal with the grease then there's every chance this is whats fecked it!

OP
OP
roundisland
RedBike said:
You can't get at the rear wheel bearings without taking the hub apart. Although dis-assembling a hub shouldn't effect a freehub if someone used a hammer in the process or been a bit liberal with the grease then there's every chance this is whats fecked it!

There was grey coloured grease around the rear axle after having the wheel bearing changed. Is there anything I can do without taking it apart to try and free the pawls up?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
roundisland said:
There was grey coloured grease around the rear axle after having the wheel bearing changed. Is there anything I can do without taking it apart to try and free the pawls up?

No - you have to take the hub apart.

raindog

er.....
Sorry for the thread hijack roundisland, but while we're on the subject can anyone tell me how to dismantle a modern freewheel or, rather, give me link to a vid or something - haven't been able to find anything on the net. It's the only thing left for me to learn to do on a "modern" bike.
I recently greased the bearings on my Mavic wheels, but as mentioned above, I couldn't access the rear right because the freewheel was in the way.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Modern freewheel?
Same as old freewheels surely?

Leave fully inflated tyre on wheel.
Just get the appropriate freewheel remover tool. Put it in a proper bench vise. (Black & Decker Workmate will NOT do). Turn wheel anticlockwise.
No bench vise? Have someone hold wheel vertically (pushing hard down so friction with ground stops rotation). Put freewheel remover on freewheel - they usually have 1/2" sq drive - add biggest extension bar you can find.

Or did you mean modern freehub / cassette ? - you need a lockring tool and chainwhip, sure there must be a video of this on bicycle tutor?

Top Bottom