Strange happenings with tv remote control. Any suggestions ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We bought an electric coal effect fire. Its in the flat so rarely used. It has a remote control but we have never used it.
In there today we switched the TV on, only to find that the TV remote switches the fire on & off.
Funny at first but really annoying as even altering the TV volume will switch the fire off or on.
Any idea why or how to prevent it?

D

Deleted member 26715

Go to Specsavers then pick up the correct remote?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
We bought an electric coal effect fire. Its in the flat so rarely used. It has a remote control but we have never used it.
In there today we switched the TV on, only to find that the TV remote switches the fire on & off.
Funny at first but really annoying as even altering the TV volume will switch the fire off or on.

They probably use too similar frequency. Also maybe the tv remote is too wide a spread of the beam or a lot of the signal bounces off walls.

You can get all sorts of effects of electomagnetic radiation. On older teles and older set top boxes switching the tele on frequently 'jammed' the box as it was giving out IR similar to that remotes on some boxes used at the time.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
They probably use too similar frequency. Also maybe the tv remote is too wide a spread of the beam or a lot of the signal bounces off walls.

You can get all sorts of effects of electomagnetic radiation. On older teles and older set top boxes switching the tele on frequently 'jammed' the box as it was giving out IR similar to that remotes on some boxes used at the time.
Thanks.
TV is maybe 6 years old.
I tried with my back to the fire, facing TV but it immediately switched the fire off. Very strange.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks.
TV is maybe 6 years old.
I tried with my back to the fire, facing TV but it immediately switched the fire off. Very strange.

You could selotape a bit of cardboard around the end of the tv remote and cover it in tin foil to try and direct the signal. Or use whichever remote seems least likely to switch on the fire (probably narrowest beam).

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Are you sure yous are using the right remote? Men of your age can get awfully confused. ^_^

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The TV and stereo in the turbo trainer pain cave (aka spare room) also interact with each others remotes.
Both were cheapies made by the same different parts of the same company so I suspect the frequencies are the same for operations like volume etc so they can use generic remotes?

It's not normally a problem as I generally only have one on at once.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are probably on the same/similar IR channels. Had issues at home with various wireless mice - although don't control the other device, the response went to pot.

Top Bottom