Strange pattern on frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The different types are purely cosmetic (gross oversimplification alert).
Anything carbon is made from a few layers of unidirectional carbon, each in different directions. Like the grain in plywood, where each layer is at right angles to the next one. You then apply a cosmetic top layer, like the veneer on chipboard furniture.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Well I've learned something new today, thanks.

The different types are purely cosmetic (gross oversimplification alert).
Anything carbon is made from a few layers of unidirectional carbon, each in different directions. Like the grain in plywood, where each layer is at right angles to the next one. You then apply a cosmetic top layer, like the veneer on chipboard furniture.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you bear in mind that the carbon tube is formed by a long internal bladder being inflated and forcing the carbon weave into the mould, you'll understand that pattern. It will then have been rubbed down, lacquered and re-lacquered.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

So does the carbon sort of melt and leave that pattern? I've seen some carbon finished where it looks like more of a weave effect.

If you bear in mind that the carbon tube is formed by a long internal bladder being inflated and forcing the carbon weave into the mould, you'll understand that pattern. It will then have been rubbed down, lacquered and re-lacquered.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No the carbon is a coarsely-woven cloth with a warp and weft. It is soaked in resin and forced into the mould under high pressure while the resin goes off. The resin forms the shape of the bike but the embedded carbon cloth gives it the incredible structural strength, just like reinforced concrete. Different weaves of carbon will create different patterns, which we aren't accustomed to seeing because most frames are painted.

Unfortunately the resin tube walls aren't very robust against point loads and impacts and are crushed relatively easily when compared to their structural strength, which is why some people still distrust carbon. But rewind about 30 years and you'll find people fretting about the fragility of very thin-walled steel tubes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Right ok, so really carbon on it's own is a thread or sheet of cloth like material?

No the carbon is a coarsely-woven cloth with a warp and weft. It is soaked in resin and forced into the mould under high pressure while the resin goes off. The resin forms the shape of the bike but the embedded carbon cloth gives it the incredible structural strength, just like reinforced concrete. Different weaves of carbon will create different patterns, which we aren't accustomed to seeing because most frames are painted.

Unfortunately the resin tube walls aren't very robust against point loads and impacts and are crushed relatively easily when compared to their structural strength, which is why some people still distrust carbon. But rewind about 30 years and you'll find people fretting about the fragility of very thin-walled steel tubes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
1135812753_518.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very nice. I wonder if they'd make me a suit?

So this runs counter to the doctor's advice, so which is correct?
BB

TheDoctor

Europe Endless

So this runs counter to the doctor's advice, so which is correct?
BB

The tube is made up of layers, then formed. Where I work, things are made on the outside of a mould, but it's the same principle.

The tube is made up of layers, then formed. Where I work, things are made on the outside of a mould, but it's the same principle.
But your previous post said it was purely cosmetic like a veneer topping whereas globalti's says it is the result of the material being pressed into the mould. It can't be both.

Top Bottom