Strange places you've repaired your bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed punctures in the office, not exactly amazing.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This morning I had a puncture as I was approaching work, and ended up fixing it when I arrived. As I work in a Theatre this meant I repaired my puncture on the stage.

I'm sure someone can better that for strangeness though.. Where have you fixed your bike?
If I fixed my bike in any of the theatres I work in, that would be stranger. But so far, it hasn't happened!

On the footpath over the Runcorn suspension bridge. It was late at night and a chain split so we stopped on the bridge. If you don't know it, the footpath is a metal grille along the side. For some reason now forgotten, we stopped in the middle to fix it with a chain tool. We could hear the lorries thundering past and the bridge gently swaying, one of us holding a feeble Ever ready light while I fumbled the chain back together doing my best not to drop anything through the grille. I don't even remember why we were on the footpath, we normally weren't, I think it was because we had my less experienced cousin with us, who's chain it was that split.

Lots of others, bus shelters, sitting on a bench outside Inverness castle threading spokes onto a back wheel which I'd nursed for hundreds of miles.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This morning I had a puncture as I was approaching work, and ended up fixing it when I arrived. As I work in a Theatre this meant I repaired my puncture on the stage.

I'm sure someone can better that for strangeness though.. Where have you fixed your bike?
Standing ovation when you finished? Did you adjust the brakes as an encore?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not such a strange place but on my first Cape Argus race I was slowing for a junction at the edge of a fairly rough area outside Cape Town when I heard a tic tic tic noise from my front wheel. Ignored it and.... a hundred yards beyond the junction the tyre went flat. This was a bit devastating for me as an ignorant and fearful Englishman as I found myself surrounded immediately by a gaggle of enthusiastic local lads, several of whom had bandoleros of inner tubes slung around their shoulders. As I removed the punctured tube it was snatched away and I lost no time in removing the drawing pin that was stuck in the tyre and getting pumped up and moving. I'm sure nobody would have harmed me, it was just my prejudice that was making me nervous.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
several of whom had bandoleros of inner tubes slung around their shoulders. As I removed the punctured tube it was snatched away and I lost no time in removing the drawing pin that was stuck in the tyre and getting pumped up and moving. I'm sure nobody would have harmed me, it was just my prejudice that was making me nervous.
They were probably the ones scattering the drawing pins?

Not quite a repair, but I did once pack up my basic touring toolkit and cycle a few klicks out the road to a forest where I proceeded to strip the bike. I removed pretty much everything except the headset & B.B., disconnected brake & gear cables, chain, removed wheels, tyres and tubes, loosened and tightened every bolt for my racks, then put it all back together again, pumping tyres up with my small pump, adjusting brakes and gears. Removing the rear cassette proved to be the most difficult (and painful) which led to the investment in a fibre-fix spoke. I also learned the importance of having some kind of a container to hold bits and pieces when out in the wilds!

It probably seems totally senseless to some on here, but I can't overstate how much confidence I got from the exercise.

Top Bottom