1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange sign

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by nethalus, 22 Apr 2008.

1. nethalus

nethalus New Member

I was in Lincoln yesterday and while there we visited a rather nice cafe. Anyway while we were waiting for our food to arrive I was watching people coming and going past the window. I noticed that most cyclists were wheeling their bikes along the pedestrian walkway outside.
    It was then that my attention was caught by a little road sign opposite, you know the sort that tells you what times you can stop there etc. Anyway this particular little road sign said the following: "No cycling, except for loading or unloading between 4pm and 10am."
    Both me and my other half read this sign several times to make sure we weren't reading it wrong, but no that is exactly what it says that cyclists can only load or unload between those times. We were wondering if it was perhaps a sign aimed at cycling couriers or something!!

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

That is unusual! Never seen one myself...

I'm wondering if Lincoln has anything in the way of Maximas Trike deliveries, like we do here in York - although knowing how hilly Lincoln is, I doubt it... Our guys in York are supposed to push the trikes in the footstreets during the designated times, but sometimes they will scoot on one pedal if it's not crowded..

3. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

Do pedals get very crowded in York? :smile:

I'd like to see more such things around here (trikes etc.) - it's all the usual huge lorries and vans, parking wherever they want, blocking junctions etc.

<sigh> :becool:

4. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

no-cycling.jpg This sign ?

5. MERV

MERV New Member

Weird.What is the purpose of it?

6. magnatom

magnatom Guest

It's to prevent cycling at any time, except for loading between 4pm and 10pm.

:biggrin::biggrin:

7. magnatom

magnatom Guest

So nethalus, hows bloodbus without me? :biggrin:

8. MERV

MERV New Member

You think?
    2j69xg6.jpg

9. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I would be interested to see if such a ban is enforceable. As fair as I am aware, it could only be introduced by byelaw (as it is not part of the various Road Traffic Acts) and councils are notorious for getting these things wrong...

10. OP
    OP
    nethalus

nethalus New Member

Yep that was exactly what the sign in Lincoln said!

11. OP
    OP
    nethalus

nethalus New Member

Have you actually left it or are you still having trouble signing in? Couple of others had the same problem, they were advised to clear their web histrories like and bingo it worked!

12. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I'm pretty sure I've been deregistered. Happened without any warning. Hey ho, I've got bigger fish to fry, and I've moved on a bit since then!:biggrin:

13. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

A bit OT I know, but where's the cafe? I have struggled to find a good one in Lincoln.

14. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

It's unusual to see it in relation to regular road cycling, but such bylaws are currently enforced up and down the country with the issuing of fixed penalties.

15. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

That's because Google is a wonderful thing. :wacko: