Strava and Privacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Looks like private is going. Now your follower can let others see your activities. Strava is going to lose my subscription.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If true, that's not good!
Any links, please?

Jody

Stubborn git
Love Strava. Flybys is great for finding new cafés.

I'm convinced Strava (and flyby) is the reason for a good % of bike thefts around here.

As an experiment, I decided to look into how lapse peoples security was when they posted on a Facebook group about their fleet of bikes getting stolen and over half of the time I could find their house in minutes.

The problem is most on Strava sign up with their full real name, leave flyby on (easy to find that person who rode past you on the nice bike), don't set security zones (house is visible to all on a map) and then post pictures of them with their bikes (making Facebook cross reference easy) all whilst leaving their profile as public.

All a scally has to do is take a leisurely walk/ride with Strava on and the nice bikes reveal themselves.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm convinced Strava (and flyby) is the reason for a good % of bike thefts around here.

As an experiment, I decided to look into how lapse peoples security was when they posted on a Facebook group about their fleet of bikes getting stolen and over half of the time I could find their house in minutes.

The problem is most on Strava sign up with their full real name, leave flyby on (easy to find that person who rode past you on the nice bike), don't set security zones (house is visible to all on a map) and then post pictures of them with their bikes (making Facebook cross reference easy) all whilst leaving their profile as public.

All a scally has to do is take a leisurely walk/ride with Strava on and the nice bikes reveal themselves.

Although I have flyby on, I don't think most do, since it is not enabled by default, you have to choose to turn it on.

You may be right about not setting a privacy zone around your house though, as I don't think that is on by default.

Jody

Stubborn git
Although I have flyby on, I don't think most do, since it is not enabled by default, you have to choose to turn it on.

It was on by default for all users when first introduced. Apparently that was changed in 2020

You may be right about not setting a privacy zone around your house though, as I don't think that is on by default.

Crazy that it's not on (or pointed out) by default

I use various postcodes around our village with different radius' so there isn't a uniform circle over the center of my house

Dadam

I use various postcodes around our village with different radius' so there isn't a uniform circle over the center of my house

The circle is not centred on your start location, it's placed randomly so your start location is somewhere within the circle.

Jody

Stubborn git
The circle is not centred on your start location, it's placed randomly so your start location is somewhere within the circle.

That's for hiding start/end points. Most of my village is hidden via manual postcode input (hide a specific address) and radius' so it's irrelevant where I start/end, my ride stops at the village boundary.

Jody

Stubborn git
Yes. And when they changed it, they set it yto off for everybody, so you had to set it back to on if you wanted it.

I wasn't aware of that.

I found Flyby a bit creepy and couldn't see a legitimate use for it.

Top Bottom