Strava Bandwidth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

I want to use Strava for a ride of about two hours but am not sure how much of my monthly bandwidth it will gobble up. I get 250megs a month. Anyone know?
malc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It shouldn't use much at all, as you won't be loading mapping. Try 3g watchdog app on your phone to monitor use.

All it does is logs your position as 'data' against GPS references taken every so often. When you 'upload' this data file (and they are very small) this is where data is exchanged.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I don't think it uses data connection at all during the ride, just to upload a gpx file at the end and to synch achievements which at a guess would probably be well under 1mb per ride.

What phone and provider are you using? There are usually options to monitor your data usage, Orange for example do an app and a part of their website that shows your current usage and there are 3rd party apps that record data usage for most smartphones. :smile:

Herr-B

If you're still worried about it, after your ride connect to wifi before saving. It's quicker at informing me I'm slower than ever that way.

ianjmcd

Über Member
strava will only use data when uploading during the ride it will use gps to track your ride and speed then when you get home upload it using wifi

OP
OP
malcermie

malcermie

Did a forty mile ride logged on Strava seemed to use hardly any data, very impressed with the information it gave me.
Malc

Top Bottom