Strava has gone bonkers..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I cycled a route I don't usually ride today and Strava has awarded me some KOMs - my first ever !

Wondering how anyone could have been slower than me, imagine my surprise when Strava has me down as doing 48.2mph in a 40mph limit where the extremely fast previous KOMs show 36.7mph, and another KOM doing 62.8 mph in the same 40mph limit where the next fastest is 37.2 mph.

Now, I was bimbling along as usual and not pushing it. But everyone on those segments will think that I am a fraud !

Is there a way of reporting the breakdown of these systems ?

Guyincognito76

Someone misread the speedo in their car, I think ;)

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
not me !

I've made the ride private so it doesn't skew public statistics.

It's a steep downhill road - the A38 by BAe at Filton - so 37mph is quite believable - not that I was doing more than 32mph at any time though.

Adam Harris

Regular
That's right by my house. A nice hill to gain some speed.
I wouldn't be surprised if you could get over 45mph. Just have to be brave which I am not lol

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Of course... ! Half-baked HTC GPS cobblers..

Hip Priest

Veteran
I run Strava on a phone and my top speed is always ludicrously high. On only one occasion has it given me an obviously false segment time, and that's when it had me going 20mph up a hill, smashing into the Top 10 alongside local racers!

I run Strava on a phone and my top speed is always ludicrously high. On only one occasion has it given me an obviously false segment time, and that's when it had me going 20mph up a hill, smashing into the Top 10 alongside local racers!

My top speed was apparently 120mph :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Been using Endomondo which has not missed a beat over 7 rides. Uploading them into Strava is a PITA though, it has to be one file at a time. Endomondo satellite tracking seems more reliable for me.

My last Strava recorded ride finished more than a mile from home, according to their stats. I had a good few rides where Strava just stopped recording, miles short of the ride ending.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think you have been unlucky. I run both apps now on a Garmin but first on an HTC Desire and the tracking has been identical on both. They use exactly the same GPS satellites. The phone was far less accurate on both apps for me and I think with the Garmin it has only been iffy once or twice.

Top Bottom