Strava - how accurate is the calorie counter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does it matter?

vickster

Legendary Member
That assumes maybe mmr used a similar algorithm. What it really means is, if correct.....

You can have two bits of cake on your next ride then :biggrin:. Only reason I cycle ;)

Personally, there is no way I burn 60+ calories a mile or I might actually lose weight eventually through cycling !

OP
OP
M

Mike J

Regular
Appreciate the responses, thank you. I won't be relying on this data anytime soon then, but at least it provides some sort of rough indication. :rolleyes:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Just forget about calories burned when cycling its not worth it, enjoy cycling get fitter and count your calories in the kitchen if the goal is to lose some weight.

Ganymede

Veteran
I had my resting metabolism measured recently by my friend who is a diet counsellor. Very interesting thing to have done - you have to starve for 4 hours (not difficult if your appointment is just before lunch!) then sit quietly for 10 mins with an uncomfortable peg on your nose and a tube in your mouth that you breathe into normally. This gives the amount of calories you would use if you sat in a chair all day, which varies widely with different sizes/ages/physical types of person and from which the testing person can extrapolate your actual calorie usage. They have to rely on a questionnaire of what you say you do all week so you have to not lie about how much exercise you do.

Mine came up as about 1900 per day, taking into account my cycling and general activity. Actually quite high for a 50-year-old woman - the "2000 per day" is no good for you when you're a, ahem, mature person....

Top Bottom