Strava, KOMs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm never going to get a KOM so I just try to pick a couple of segments and aim for being one of the fastest on that segment on a given day. If I get a top 5 on a fairly popular segment I'm happy. Doesn't last long of course and I'm 2896 for the year usually, but we have to be realistic and take small bites at glory. ^_^

Try the Johnny rotten method "anger is a energy". I had a car pull out on me and give me the finger, I was so pissed off I chased him for 1.2 miles to catch him at some lights and set 3 KOM's in the process ( mainly downhill) . You just need the right incentive.
As for people saying people set KOMS in cars etc , there are around 120 segments on my commute which is into london, I know the bloke who has the majority of them, ( he has 8 pages of KOMS) he is just ruddy quick I rarely see times that are obviously set by people in vehicles and they get disputed fairly quickly and disapear from the leaderboards. I agree you need to watch weather reports and wait for a gale mostly.

pjd57

Veteran
I'm happy not to use strava.
I use it as for the information it gives.
I'm only plodding along at 10/12 mph but with all my usual routine journeys recorded I know now how long they all take .
No more turning up 20 minutes early for everything

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
To get a KOM get fitter, choose a segment that suits your physique (don't try a 2 mile climb segment if you are on the chubbier side of skinny), choose a day where the wind is behind you, then pedal until you feel sick and your lungs are about to explode. To increase your chances on longer segments ride it as part of a fast chain gang. Oh and avoid roads used for TT's, road races or where the local pro's train. Try multiple segments with short gaps in between and you can pretend it is interval training. You may find some people people think you are a bit of a dick though

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Why is it so bloody difficult?

I`m a competent enough rider who puts in good average speeds, but barely makes the top 10 and can never get a KOM no matter how "balls out" I go. I always seem to ride at full gas and have been doing for 20 years

I know people who put in sod all effort in comparison and have pages of them.

I know it`s only fun, but just one would be a huge morale boost.........................................
Some people may also get KOMs because they have the money for very expensive bikes that do most of the work for them.

bpsmith

Veteran
Go out into the middle of nowhere and find a segment no one has done. I have about 3 QOMs that way.
There are no segments that nobody has done. They get created based on the rides people have done. :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
Personally, I like targeting segments with a bit more to them than just a short climb, although do enjoy those too.

I have set up a number of longer segments of 20 mile sort of distance, with an out and back route. That separate's the pack significantly, as you can't just go all out up one climb and then chill for the remainder. You also can't enjoy a tailwind for the whole segment, unless you're very lucky and the wind changes on every bend.

I tend to ride harder and faster when riding solo, so my best times are all my own.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
You can absolutely create your own, but then you can't "find a segment that no one has done", as somebody did it before setting it up.
However you may find that any segment you create has already been ridden by a few thousand people but no one had made it a segment.
Therefore (as mentioned previously) you'll celebrate for a few hours being 1 out of 1, but then once Strava figures out all the data and updates it you're back down in the pack again.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've noticed a number of people that have KOMs where they appear to have had a glitch on the GPS, they're the only person on the segment and it's pretty much certain that the segment will never be matched again, a lifetime KOM!

Top Bottom