Strava or RidewithGPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
What's the difference?

For the most part I'd like to be able to plan routes beforehand (as I'm new to the are) & review them afterwards, though I'm not super super keen.

I am using a roady & have an edge 200.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would use ride with gps to plan the route and Strava to record it. Strava is more of a recording app. You can create routes on it but rwgps is easy to use and upload to your Garmin pre ride.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
you can plan and review rides with Garmin Connect.

I've found this to be a painful experience.... Gramin connect regularly locks up and the performance is woeful (at least for me). Much more straightforward on bikeroutetoaster or mapmyride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've found this to be a painful experience.... Gramin connect regularly locks up and the performance is woeful (at least for me). Much more straightforward on bikeroutetoaster or mapmyride.

Fair enough. I haven't experienced any of those problems

BSRU

A Human Being
I use RWG for planning and reviewing after a ride far more civilised website;).

Also use(sometimes) OS maps when planning to ensure road is a road and not a bye way unsuitable for road bikes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use RWG for planning and reviewing after a ride far more civilised website;).

Also use(sometimes) OS maps when planning to ensure road is a road and not a bye way unsuitable for road bikes.

On this particular point ...

http://www.gpxeditor.com is a nice website that provides route planning facilites using google maps like RWGPS, but it has the nice feature that it can also display OS maps. You can't actually do routing while the OS maps are displayed, for licencing reasons, but you can flip between maps easily while you are routing. It also shows Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map (and allows you to do routing on these).

It's a good little route planning site (and written by a guy who is active on another UK cycling forum) with some nice features. It's not for uploading and storing tracks though, so it isn't a competitor to RWGPS in that respect. You have to transfer the resultant GPX file to your device yourself.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strava if you are Pro. Yeh....:whistle: ;)

I also plan with RideWithGPS and review with Strava and Garmin Connect and my own spreadsheet :smile: .
Confess to not using a spreadsheet, but do this too. RWGPS is one of the less clunky route planners, but am I right in thinking you need to upgrade to premium to load them to a Garmin?

BSRU

A Human Being
Confess to not using a spreadsheet, but do this too. RWGPS is one of the less clunky route planners, but am I right in thinking you need to upgrade to premium to load them to a Garmin?
No, you can upload to a Garmin premium or not, although I think it might not the same procedure.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
The latter posts are what I was wondering. I tried to put a planned route onto my edge & it asked me to upgrade. I don't mind paying to subscribe, but if there's a way to do it as a free user or the same function available on another free platform, I'd love to know.

As for the point on os maps, I'm intrigued as I have recently taken to flipping to street view etc. to check road tupes, though a couple of times I have accidentally plotted through an industrial estate and been taken into provate car parks that are hgated during closed hours so could have been an issue!

Ansome

shows how to get ridewithgps to your garmin for free. Its really simple, I don't understand why anybody would go premium!

No nor do I, can't understand why everything isn't free myself, including Garmins, Ultrega groupsets and Messi playing for Redruth. Can't believe they've got businesses, employees and people to feed in their families too.

DefBref

Über Member
No nor do I, can't understand why everything isn't free myself, including Garmins, Ultrega groupsets and Messi playing for Redruth. Can't believe they've got businesses, employees and people to feed in their families too.

Whats that got to do with anything? The point was that there is no point paying for premium for ridewithgps, if your after upload to your garmin, when you can do it for free. I was not claiming that everything in the world should be free.

Top Bottom