Strava Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know if you can download a ride from strava to garmin if you are on the free version of Strava?
I was on the paid subscription but when they wanted to raise my monthly premiums to nearly double i baulked at that and when on the freebie.
From the Strava website i downloaded the ride to downloads in file explorer and then on the garmin connect website i uploaded the file but it's not showing in courses.
I have uploaded rides before successfully but that was a long time ago so maybe i'm doing something wrong or maybe because i'm not on Strava Premium?

Alex321

Veteran
Does anyone know if you can download a ride from strava to garmin if you are on the free version of Strava?
I was on the paid subscription but when they wanted to raise my monthly premiums to nearly double i baulked at that and when on the freebie.
From the Strava website i downloaded the ride to downloads in file explorer and then on the garmin connect website i uploaded the file but it's not showing in courses.
I have uploaded rides before successfully but that was a long time ago so maybe i'm doing something wrong or maybe because i'm not on Strava Premium?

If you were able to download the file, then it isn't going to be a Strava premium or not issue. If that were a premium only feature, it would not have let you download the file.

Is it a file format that the Garmin accepts?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

When you have a basic Strava account, you can't download planned routes. Is the issue that you have downloaded a completed route which is a different file type (perhaps a FIT file)? I don't use Garmin, so can't be sure. May be worth seeing if it will upload into a different fee planner like RWGPS or Komoot?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
i'm on free strava, you can download a ride you have done as a GPX.

I drop gpx files onto my garmin manually as its an old one. You put them in the "new files" folder, not "courses". when you then restart the garmin it then automatically moves and appears in your courses folder / menu.

I'm on free too. I just went on to Strava and downloaded a friend's ride as a gpx. I clicked the 3 dots under "Analysis" and chose Export GPX. The file contains only the route, not the actual ride timings. I could then, if I so wished, dump that into the New Files of my Garmin as @T4tomo says and it would pop up as a course.

1684319394202.png

If the ride is my own, rather than someone else's, I also get the option to "export original" as well as export GPX, which gives me a GPX file including the timings. I don't know what would happen if I put that into my Garmin New files folder. Would it treat it as a course or an activity?

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks for all your helpful comments
I had to update Garmin Express add my Garmin Edge (which i thought was already on there) and then they synched and now the Route is on the Edge.

this is why I just attach a cable and do it via File Manager :laugh: garmin express sometime syncs and sometimes doesn't. My OH's newer garmin used to upload to strava as she walked back through the door at home and found the wifi. now its stopped bothering somehow

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
this is why I just attach a cable and do it via File Manager :laugh: garmin express sometime syncs and sometimes doesn't. My OH's newer garmin used to upload to strava as she walked back through the door at home and found the wifi. now its stopped bothering somehow

That reminds me of the first time I ever had a GPS do an automatic upload. It was new and I didn't even know that this feature existed. I finished my ride at a railway station, stopped the GPS and was buying a ticket when I got a "Your ride is ready to view" message on my phone. I was completely dumbfounded by such black magic.

steverob

Guru
I have something like that as well going on as well, but it only works if I open the Garmin Connect app on my phone. If the app is already open when I save the ride on my Edge device, it won't upload it for some reason, but if I quit the app and open it again, then it starts uploading. Very odd.

Top Bottom