Strava tarting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you use Strava, or similar apps, could you finish a long ride just short of the intended miles?
Point raised as I was on a nighttime Sportive last night, and several riders tagged on my Strava finished the 100 miler on:-
miles.

No way could I do that! :headshake:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you use Strava, or similar apps, could you finish a long ride just short of the intended miles?
Point raised as I was on a nighttime Sportive last night, and several riders tagged on my Strava finished the 100 miler on:-
miles.

No way could I do that! :headshake:

No, me neither - rode the 'Epic' Vale Vélo sportive in April that was 98 miles. So I added another two miles on just before the end to finish on 100.8 miles - no way was I finishing two miles short of a century! :laugh:

And I've lost count of the times I've had to ride round the block at the end of a ride to round the mileage up.;)

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@NorthernDave Exactly! Their supplied .gpx said it was only 98.4 or summat, so we did a mile 'warmup' before we started, and due to rubbish signage, we did the extra necessary miles on the wrong roads, and finished on 100.4. :okay:
I'd have ridden past the finish line ( I did this on the BHF Norwich 100 last year as I was a mile short!)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I used to round up, but now I'll only do that if it means an extra Eddington, not that I'm becoming obsessed at all:rolleyes:

For a century, if I'm close I'll do the extra. For 100km, less so. Depends how close I am, 5 miles off sometimes is enough to just stop short.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
At first sight it seems odd, but maybe it isn't. It's purely a personal thing whether an arbitrary number should be important or not.

I've always regarded achieving 100 miles as highly significant, but genuinely I couldn't care less about the 200km target which is prized by some. Last summer I was quite amused when 2 consecutive 124-mile rides both ended a smidgeon over 200km. It must have looked as though I'd done it deliberately, but I certainly hadn't.

As it happens my next ride is planned, quite specifically, to finish on 123 miles. The explanation is artistic - yan tan tethera being the relevant phrase in certain northern dialects - betraying a quite different manifestation of OCD to that mentioned above. I hold my hands up.

Top Bottom