Strava - Times/Moving Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skibird

I went up a hill a couple of days ago on my own and did it in 4 mins, and at the top of the hill I just carried on, today I did the hill with a couple of family members (who haven't been out on their bikes for months), so at the top I stopped and waited a few mins for them to arrive, then they had a little rest at the top. Today it said it took me 9 mins which I'm guestimating is the total including waiting time at the top, but Strava is meant to only record moving time isn't it? That is what it says at the end of the ride.

I'm a bit miffed at it recording my time at 9 mins as hills are what i'm really trying to get better at it, is there any way that I can change/edit it?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For segments it is total elapsed time.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went up a hill a couple of days ago on my own and did it in 4 mins, and at the top of the hill I just carried on, today I did the hill with a couple of family members (who haven't been out on their bikes for months), so at the top I stopped and waited a few mins for them to arrive, then they had a little rest at the top. Today it said it took me 9 mins which I'm guestimating is the total including waiting time at the top, but Strava is meant to only record moving time isn't it? That is what it says at the end of the ride.

I'm a bit miffed at it recording my time at 9 mins as hills are what i'm really trying to get better at it, is there any way that I can change/edit it?
Don’t stop mid segment ;) or create new private ones

OP
OP
S

Skibird

Thanks, I assumed that at the top of the hill it would have been a new segment. I also went up another hill on my own (just a little short, steep one for practice), both a couple of days ago and today, but although it was recorded as part of the route, it wasn't recorded as a separate hill/road at all, does Strava not record every road independantly?

Sorry for all the questions, am quitea new user of strava.:blush:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, I assumed that at the top of the hill it would have been a new segment. I also went up another hill on my own (just a little short, steep one for practice), both a couple of days ago and today, but although it was recorded as part of the route, it wasn't recorded as a separate hill/road at all, does Strava not record every road independantly?

Sorry for all the questions, am quitea new user of strava.:blush:
There are probably multiple segments if it’s a well ridden hill. Box hill has 20 at least!

If you want a new segment you have to create one. It’s not done by strava

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I marshalled at our ten mile TT course a few weeks ago.
Hammered out the first five miles to the roundabout on my road bike; marshalled; hammered the send half of the course back to the finish.
Strava recorded the 10 mile TT time as 1hr and 55 mins!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Elapsed time for a Strava segment is the time when you exit the end of the segment minus the time when you enter the start of the segment.

So if you stop a metre before the end of the segment that's too bad

I wonder what happens if you enter a segment but dont finish it, then turn around, go back and have another go

Segments do also show your moving time even if it's the total time that matters but you can at least see where you might have been on it if you hadn't stopped or been stopped.

Top Bottom