strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noodle

downloaded this as something to help me track how im doing on this skinny tyred thing ive bought and ive discovered other peoples times on roads im using.
now the thing is some times and speeds look a bit extraordinary. eg one rider clocks 34 mph on a slight uphill stretch yet on a fairly long straight and fast downhill only clocks 29mph

how is that possible ive peddled furiously today and couldnt get past 24 mph going downhill, which i can account for more upright position work gear in a rucksack etc

is it common for speeds to be manipulated in some manner?

Peteaud

Veteran
You can cheat, several ways, but i dont really see the point.

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

neither do i im hoping someone will say its common for people to go for it on harder sections and relax on the easy bits, although quite a few do look very close to speeds that cars do.......

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

looking at mine in detail this morning on the way into work i hit 49.7mph:eek:

i cant work out where exactly and i certainly dont remember doing that speed i was happy with my average speed of 9 ism mph considering it was a bit hairy on gravel with skinny slicks

vickster

Legendary Member
I hit 67 mph recently coming into Walton On Thames station :whistle: And @jefmcg was metaphorically motoring today on the approach to Leatherhead BR station today ;)

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

how do i share it? i think some people in here could do with laughing once in a while:laugh:
especially if anyone can spot where i stopped for a drink and put my foot down on what looked like a grass verge..... it was grass but lacked the verge and i fell flat on my side much to the amusement of a young couple coming the other way

moo

There can be legitimate reasons for false data on Strava. Some older phones have erratic sample rates, dropping to once every 10 seconds at times. Anything less than one sample every 2 seconds will result in bad speed calculations by Strava on short segments. I've seen an activity showing 3mph for 1 mile (less than walking pace) suddenly jump to 35mph with a max speed of 70mph. I flagged it but am disappointed Strava allows such low sample rates to affect scoreboards.

BrynCP

Über Member
It's not all high speeds, one of my Strava rides took around 10 years, in fact I am still riding if you believe it.

upload_2014-9-20_22-45-36.png

Funny looking back at that ride, that's a sub 1 hour ride now! And no pain felt, where as back then that 308ft of "elevation" felt hard!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Apparently, there's a website called Digital EPO which lets people manipulate their GPS data to make it look like they've gone faster than they really have. Utterly bizarre, and rather sad.
Mad! I can almost understand someone cheating in a real bike race to have the glory/ prize money etc, but online to say that you have beaten someone else that you have no idea how fair the comparison is?i have some QOM's but most are on not well cycled segments, so it's it's not that brilliant. It's mostly about beating myself! And there isn't any point cheating at that.