strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hit 67 mph recently coming into Walton On Thames station :whistle: And @jefmcg was metaphorically motoring today on the approach to Leatherhead BR station today ;)
It turns out it's a really odd segment. I got QOM at 45kph on a train (now cropped), so I assumed that other riders had used the train, too. But if you look at their rides, they are fine looking, not following track, other segments are quite reasonable, just this one segment is superfast. I assume there is a wormhole involved.

http://www.strava.com/segments/1012040

(or maybe it's haunted by the eponymous Gareth)

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think I might become trans. QOMs seem less hotly contested than KOMs.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well, I just changed my gender :girldance: hoping that it would update all my rankings but it didn't work. Oh well, back to being a bloke.

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

@noodles segment is a good example of this

http://www.strava.com/segments/8181559?filter=overall

(no QOM because no woman has recorded a ride on it. I got a quite a few QOM that way)

its not really a mountain though its a crappy rutted tractor track through some fields near a place where the local kids go to practice making babys and drink cheap alcohol

crank caverns for anyone who likes to know about historical places that are well and truly 'chavved' up these days

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

:-)

The fastest man on any cycling segment is always called "KOM", even if it is flat or downhill. That's just what strava uses. It's meant to sound technical and bicycly.

For runners, btw, it's "course record" - similarly, a term runners use for the fastest on a marathon course or whatever.

id opt for biggest....... or ever so slightly brain dead
on there at least i think i need to change my helmet and go at it with the ive a full face and my bike has boingy bits attitude. aka brain dead ...... from someone who probably is when it comes to bikes on stuff like that. Its odd how changing the bike has changed how i ride in such a short space of time skinny rims, no shock absorption tyres that inspire confidence in no way whatsoever unless im on a smooth surface (where i have no faith in my mtb oddly its murder for understeer on smooth fast bends (different stories) anyway rambling through adnams broadside and pain relief watching sightseers

Colin_P

Guru
Slow and proud here. As long as I'm not the slowest on a segment I'm happy.

There is no need to cheat, what is the point.

I think I might become trans. QOMs seem less hotly contested than KOMs.
No category for that

@noodle I started following people of a similar performance to me nearly two years ago, and set that as the default view ( there is a way using oprea or chrome to set the view to your own), any device that doesn't use a sp sensor can be prone to gps plot errors regarding max/avg sp (even then the odd one happens), even with a sensor gps tracks can be a bit wayward (cloudy condition trees buildings ect) so strava should only be taken as a bit of fun, unless you are in a race your only really competing with your own improvements as thats all you can do. One thing I wish they would introduce though is a yearly best time YBT YB2 ect.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It turns out it's a really odd segment. I got QOM at 45kph on a train (now cropped), so I assumed that other riders had used the train, too. But if you look at their rides, they are fine looking, not following track, other segments are quite reasonable, just this one segment is superfast. I assume there is a wormhole involved.

http://www.strava.com/segments/1012040

(or maybe it's haunted by the eponymous Gareth)

I had inadvertently recorded a ride from Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury on Strava... :surrender:

I've since cropped it out of my ride data as I noticed it was distorting my overall performance statistics.