strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luked1980

I use strava to judge how / if I am improving my times etc

Oh and to look at the KOMs and wonder how the f**k they go that fast!

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

tried something slightly naughty today
put strava on in the car and took it away for a ride, strava has removed all the segments as it said it looked like it was done in a vehicle, its left the record of the drive but
even driving the times are still way down on some that have been cycled allegedly

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I accidentally did that again yesterday, when we were rushing to get home to let in a child who had forgotten their keys!

I've yet to correct it but it has a lovely red flag telling me part of the journey looks like it was in a car. Strangely enough I have a whole load of QOMs, but the best bit is that on one section I got a personal third, so that means I've be eaten the car on that stretch twice:biggrin:
I'm going to edit it later once I'm at a proper computer.

I also managed a 2nd overall position on one segment which surprised me as I didn't think I was putting in any extra effort along that section. But the last time I had one of those it took ages to get the QOM when I was trying to get it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Did a 100 mile sportive on Sunday with a couple of others in close company, strava says three different elevations for the same ride - mine was 2400 ft one was 4300ft and the other somewhere between the two? Mine was on an I phone and I think the higher reading from a garmin. Is this normal behaviour for strava? seems wildly inconsistent and inaccurate to me?

Did a 100 mile sportive on Sunday with a couple of others in close company, strava says three different elevations for the same ride - mine was 2400 ft one was 4300ft and the other somewhere between the two? Mine was on an I phone and I think the higher reading from a garmin. Is this normal behaviour for strava? seems wildly inconsistent and inaccurate to me?
Yep, most garmins have a barometer to measure altitude, when strava sees this it will use that data

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
I started using Strava after my brother showed me how good it was. Being on my phone it's not totally accurate but I think it's great for tracking how I'm doing and if I'm doing it consistently.

@Justinslow in theroy, though even gps units can be inaccurate, normally my edge 705 gives figures within 10% of a ride corrected with rwgps, however since the start of the month its been bwtween 10-44% out, the unit giving a higher reading than rwgps, if strava uses this data its going to seem high, my Bryton R20 strava will use the data much like your phones and this invariable reads 40%+ less hight than the corrected rwgps, both my rides yesterday and today both showed about the 1,760ft or 10ft either side of it, today rwgps corrected it to 1287 a difference of -621ft, yesterday a difference of -597ft, the unit showing 1751ft, but sunday again the unot showed 1751ft but corrected 1617ft, sorry if that complex I am tired.