Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I have Strava on my phone. Do I need to use my data for it to record my ride or will Strava still record without data usage and upload once I've finished?

Thanks in advance

J

tom73

Guru
From memory as ive not done it that way for years. It's your location service it needs once you tell it to finish it then uploads the ride.

It doesn't need mobile data but if it has it it will keep the central system updated using it
It does need it if you want to use the beacon facility so others can see where you are

but if there is no data link available then it will just store everything until it can - and/or sort it all out when you save it at the end

Hi there

I have Strava on my phone. Do I need to use my data for it to record my ride or will Strava still record without data usage and upload once I've finished?

Thanks in advance

J

Not to record, only to upload. I used to record on my old payg phone with no data. I'd start it in the office where I had Wifi, cycle to the car and leave it to sync at the far end when I had Wifi again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not entirely sure but I think that if you have data switched off it can affect the GPS function of the phone, specifically getting an initial location fix because Assisted GPS uses the data connection to download satellite reference data. So it may impact the availability (and possibly accuracy) of GPS location info.

Disclaimer: I am an idiot - the above may be out of date or just plain wrong.

Sallar55

Veteran
Has Strava changed its method of recording challenges, before if a ride was marked down as private it never counted. Now its you, everyone or followers . My backup without pics are set as you ( the old private settings) need to delete the backup on the laptop when home.

Hi there

Thanks in advance

J

The best thing to do is to test it out as you plan to use it.

My understanding is that most phones will use data and wifi signals to improve gps accuracy.
(Therefore, it's probably better to have your phone online at the start)

You may need to be online to both activate Strava and possibly finish recording the ride but do not need data as you cycle along. (Data being on may improve the accuracy of the data, though. I am not sure)

You will need to be online to upload the completed ride to Strava.

Alex321

Veteran
Has Strava changed its method of recording challenges, before if a ride was marked down as private it never counted. Now its you, everyone or followers . My backup without pics are set as you ( the old private settings) need to delete the backup on the laptop when home.

Looks like it.

All my current challenges have the following text
"Any qualifying activity, whether private or not, will count towards your private progress, badges, and rewards for this challenge. To respect activity visibility settings, only activities marked as visible to Everyone will be applied toward leaderboard rankings. Manual activities will not count towards the leaderboard."

But it looks like that can be set differently by the challenge owner.
I notice one Rouvy Challenge says:
"Manual entries will not count towards the challenge goal. Activities must be marked "Everyone.""

Mike_P

Guru
Seems to be an upload issue today. Of four rides on the ebike this morning the last one has not uploaded from the Wahoo but has done to Komoot.

Top Bottom