Stress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
Cake is an essential part of biking.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
No icing for me please,it gets a little too sweet for me then,but sounds delish:smile:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think I am about to go incandesant.

Despite being considerably in discomfort from injury, my mother of all people seems to think that she alone knows what is "best for me".

When told I was unable to do very much at all, she asked me "how I was keeping busy". I think at that point I deserved a medal for not replying with an excess of expletives. Now all she can say, instead of "hope you feel better soon, try and rest etc, etc," is make sure you don't eat too much! Instead of asking my brother (who works for a IT company) about a problem with her keyboard, she is expecting me to listen to the problem, BUT then ignores my practical suggestions for solving the problem.

NOW she is surprised and upset when I do not wish to arrange transport between my home and her house (40 miles each way) so that she can lend me my late father's (upright style) chair. When I point out that the chair is very old, and needs a large van to transport it, that makes no sense to her at all, I (in her opinion) am in the wrong for not wanting to borrow it. This may seem a very small thing to get upset about, but the bigger picture is that she can never seem to accept my opinion, without her getting upset, because she is the only one who can KNOW anything.

I know I cannot change her attitude, but when someone is unwell, why cannot people accept that the unwell person does not want long-dragged out arguments about things that other people think should be done.;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ah yes, the pathalogical 'Mother knows best' syndrome, my big bro & I suffer bouts of this from our Mum from time to time.

Old Ma tdr1nka(or Davros, as she has a powered wheelchair), can display staggering feats of insensitivity and tactlessness while entirely under the impression that butter wouldn't melt, etc.

You need to rest up for the moment and consider yourself, any upset that your mother feels will be of her own making.

Get well soon and screen your calls!

T x

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, they never accept you grow up and have families, and 'sometimes' know better 'cos the old way isn't best....hmmmm been there..... family IT expert...come running...er no and that's within a mile...so 80 round trip...having a giraffe....and you are injured....

I was going to say, having read your earlier posts, the cycling weekly article this week about back injury, but yours sounds quite bad. Even sleeping badly on one's back can knock you out - my wife and family didn't believe me so ended up knocking painkillers back...felt OK..oh no... they are the worse things you can do...I'm OK get up and go....back wrecked... that was a week out for me, and it was nothing more than muscle spasm I think, bloody painful, so I can't appreciate a real injury like yours.. just don't do too much as these pain killers have a negative effect.....

Yep my mum runs about after my bro who is in his last year of dentistry... early 20's - you didn't run like that with us, but ask for a baby sitter for a 7 and 4 year old...oh no......too busy...etc...

Still runs about after my next eldest sister - cleans her house for her - eh...both working and no kids..lazy buggers.... mid 30's FFS...... doesn't go too far with my other sister mid 20's - own flat and out alot....

My dad, doesn't interfere - pops off to the pub. retired and doesn't worry too much...

As an independent sort of person, I get really mad that my mum runs about after a set of adults..... but won't babysit ?

That's families... love 'em as they are, you can' choose them... we all get on really well, no arguments, but as I have kids, I feel shoved aside...do I get upset, sometimes, but they are missing out, as given the age of my 'siblings', any other grand kids will be years away........

Speicher

Vice Admiral
tdr1nka said:
Ah yes, the pathalogical 'Mother knows best' syndrome, my big bro & I suffer bouts of this from our Mum from time to time.

Old Ma tdr1nka(or Davros, as she has a powered wheelchair), can display staggering feats of insensitivity and tactlessness while entirely under the impression that butter wouldn't melt, etc.

You need to rest up for the moment and consider yourself, any upset that your mother feels will be of her own making.

Get well soon and screen your calls!

T x

Thank you, at least I am not alone in this syndrome. I am screening my calls, the answer machine is on permanently. Unfortunately I had just left an important message with someone this morning, and thought it was the important person returning my call. I have learnt from that mistake.;)

Top Bottom