Stress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

medals

Hi everyone,

I've only just found this thread and apologies for not reading every message.
I just wanted to say that I have lived with stress related depression and OCD for 30 odd years now (I'm 43). It was only after a particularly stressful summer that I decide to finally get professional help. My symptoms started getting physical in the form of panic attacks so I thought, well, better get this sorted.

I felt, still feel, embarrased, ashamed, call it what you will, about having this and telling someone about it. But it was so worth it.
To finally see a professional who didn't laugh, didn't say 'pull yourself together', but who did say that I'm normal, I just have a mental health issue which can be sorted.

What I would say to Charlotte is, I know the embrassment you feel, but if you can overcome it and see your GP it'll be worth it.

I'm only at the start of my journey. GP wouldn't give me anti-Ds(I couldn't promise her I would go teetotal)
I've had some counselling, I'm starting relaxation classes next Wednesday and I'm down for CBT, that'll be months though! Oh and I'm taking St John's Wort which I reckon works for me.

But although I still have good days and bad days, I kinda know at least there's light at the end of the tunnel, as long as it's not a train! (Told you I needed CBT)

Positive vibes to everyone.

hey Charlotte!!! how are you. have you peed in your shorts lately?

oooops, sorry for letting that out.

i've not read the rest of this thread, but add me to the mental health casualties here. it's a tough one when you finally have to go to the doctor and know they're going to label you as a psychiatric patient. then again, most of the interesting people i've met have been in a similar boat.

it's the ones that are cracked that the light shines through... as someone once said... or titled an album.

i relax by watching birds... i often escape to the wetlands centre in Barnes as it's 'safe'. the people there are friendly and the world seems nicer. if i want to talk to people i can do, or i can just mooch around by myself. i can lose myself in my camera and hide behind the lens. birds are also good listeners.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Its funny you mentioned wetlands and birds Laurence,i have similar thoughts,as its not somewhere to be weary of your surroundings,have you had some unpleasant experience somewhere to cause this particular solution?Thats if you dont mind me asking?

col said:
Its funny you mentioned wetlands and birds Laurence,i have similar thoughts,as its not somewhere to be weary of your surroundings,have you had some unpleasant experience somewhere to cause this particular solution?Thats if you dont mind me asking?

wetlands is good as the people who go there respect it (for the most part). I often go to richmond park but i've lost count of the amount of times the peace has been shattered by someone's dog running wild - a lot of people go there to enjoy themselves without regard to the surroundings themselves. i had this recently in Holyrood, edinburgh where people were amused that their dog was causing a swan to rear up and hiss without regard for the fact it was distressing a wild creature. that lack of respect annoys me.

thankfully there are no dogs allowed at Wetlands! that's why i feel more at ease there.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Unfortunately,lack of respect seems to be missing from a lot of areas these days.I feel it accounts for quite a lot of the problems now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
trio25 said:
Had a bad night tonight :wacko:
Care to share?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It seems I may have made a serious miscalculation over the past two or three years. When someone has asked me to do something, and I have not wanted to, or not felt able to do it, I may have been too polite in my (negative) response. It seems I have not been assertive enough in my replies to some people's requests or, more likely, their demands.

I think that instead of using a polite and friendly method of saying "No", I will have to amend this to a more assertive method. My point is, just how do other people phrase things in such a way that other people are able to listen to what I am saying and

not assume that they know how I will respond and
not ignore the answer because it is not the answer they were expecting and
not keep asking the same question in the hope of getting the answer they would like.

People on here often have very sensible advice to offer, and I would like to know their suggestions. Thank you

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
It seems I may have made a serious miscalculation over the past two or three years. When someone has asked me to do something, and I have not wanted to, or not felt able to do it, I may have been too polite in my (negative) response. It seems I have not been assertive enough in my replies to some people's requests or, more likely, their demands.

I think that instead of using a polite and friendly method of saying "No", I will have to amend this to a more assertive method. My point is, just how do other people phrase things in such a way that other people are able to listen to what I am saying and

not assume that they know how I will respond and
not ignore the answer because it is not the answer they were expecting and
not keep asking the same question in the hope of getting the answer they would like.

People on here often have very sensible advice to offer, and I would like to know their suggestions. Thank you

No im too busy,is a good one,and if the repetitive bit goes on,just ignore.But you have to get rid of the guilt too,which once you have declined,it gets easier.

trio25

Über Member
Thanks for the lovely messages on here, ended up back at the Dr's on tuesday. But the good news is I did go biking today. 28 gentle miles off-road.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Glad your ok trio25,I dont think i would find 28 miles gentle at the moment,doesnt matter how slow i went;)

Top Bottom