Stress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How's she doing ?

My MIL has been in and out of Hospital with Heart trouble - had a valve done last year but the other one is failing.... she's been in hospital twice recently - just seem to pump her full of drugs, and off you go.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Col
Sorry to hear of all the bad news. Pray that things get better...virtual tea and sympathy from here...

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Thanks for that,FF,ON the rocks please S,cheers.
I think its time that will do the trick,but not enough has passed yet.I worry about marie taking it badly,but i think she is thinking the same thing for me.So we will just have to be there for each other,and her dad,who i worry it hasnt sunk in yet.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
My best to you and the Family Col.

I felt I should stand up and be counted.
I had a breakdown and suicide attempt in 1999 caused by nervous exhaustion brought on by work, home life and two violent incidents in three months when out on my bike.
I lost my marbles, my girlfriend, my job and my home.

Worst of all I gave up cycling, as I thought then, forever.

I was initially prescribed Citalopram and being depressed I just took the pills without reading the 'instructions' and was drinking to boot.
It was during the fortnight of 'the pills settling in' that I tried to end it all.
Had I read the 'instructions' I would have known that my symptoms could get markedly worse just from taking the tablets, let alone drinking on top.

So I carried on with the pills and dropped the booze, a move I seldom regret. I had CBT thru the Maudsley clinics and a great deal of support from MIND and The Samaritans, it has been a crazy hell journey of absurd proportions that I've only started seeing an end to.

For the last 5 years I have been on 40mg Citalopram and 1gm Lithium daily and this seems to keep me 'in check'. I don't get so low anymore but then my enthusiasm doesn't rise too much either. In many ways I am very lucky and I have a wonderful partner, 3 beautiful daughters and can say that I am happier now than I thought I was before the breakdown.

Best of all I have started cycling again.
This has been the first year where I have used the bike or trike near daily.
The attacks I suffered in 1999 had given me symptoms of PTSD(post traumatic stress disorder)and when I started going for short quiet rides to test my nerves I would find it hard not to attack every car or ped that even remotely threatened my wellbeing.

A day I'll never forget, a car very nearly had me off with a left hook only to be doing a U-turn and wanting to go the other way, I saw the red mist and was stood in front of the car bike held aloft and threatening to put it thru the windscreen unless the driver acknowledged me.

As the mist cleared I saw Firemen in an engine behind the car waving wildly and mouthing, 'don't do it!', pointing at the car making w*nker signs and laughing. This broke the spell and I went on my way to thumbs up from the Fire Crew and an interesting example to give my Shrink, who I was on my way to see, of how my emotional state had been coping.

The main things to remember are that you need never be alone in your depression, talking really helps and, take it from me, there is no such thing as normal.

T x

Charlotte_C+ :-)

It really helps me realise that im not alone from reading everyones posts, as ive suffered from panic attacks, nerves, social anxiety ect for ages, im 21.

ive never taken any meds though, as id be worried about not being able to come off them, & also have felt to embarrassed to go see someone about it:sad:. but i have found that when i do exercise it does really help lift my spirits like you say, its just making yourself get out on the bike in the first place :smile:

P.S Hello again everybody! :smile:, its been ages since last visit on here!;)

as afraid i havnt been commuting on my bike for months!, but really hoping to get back in the sadle again very soon!.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Charlotte_C+ :-) said:

as afraid i havnt been commuting on my bike for months!, but really hoping to get back in the sadle again very soon!.

Helloooo :smile:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
It really helps me realise that im not alone from reading everyones posts, as ive suffered from panic attacks, nerves, social anxiety ect for ages, im 21.

ive never taken any meds though, as id be worried about not being able to come off them, & also have felt to embarrassed to go see someone about it:sad:. but i have found that when i do exercise it does really help lift my spirits like you say, its just making yourself get out on the bike in the first place :smile:

Hi charlotte,Hope you had a great christmas,and are having a better new year.

trio25

Über Member
ive never taken any meds though, as id be worried about not being able to come off them, & also have felt to embarrassed to go see someone about it:sad:. but i have found that when i do exercise it does really help lift my spirits like you say, its just making yourself get out on the bike in the first place :biggrin:

Hi Charlotte. I've found the same exercise really helps, but eventually I just basically collasped and had to seek help. I've been making arrangements to meet people on my bike so I can't back out, otherwise I just don't go out. Everytime I decide to cancel it but I'm always glad when I don't.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Its the thought of doing something thats the worse part isnt it,but like you say,most of the time ,your glad you did.But all too often,we find an excuse not to.Its those excuses that are the hardest hurdle sometimes.

trio25

Über Member
Yes I'm good at excuses and this time of year gives loads. At first the minute I mentioned going on a bike ride the OH would bundle me out the dorr before I changed my mind as I'd fogotten how much I enjoyed it.

Have two days with nothing planned though. Think my legs will appreciate the rest after a week playing in the snow in France and 30miles on the road bike yesterday.

Top Bottom